Has anyone installed an old coal rang

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #551362 by Kimjarvie
]Hi there was wondering if anyone had installed an old coal range lately, I have been told that I will need to get mine certified before installing and I have no idea where to start. Its a shacklock orion rh door no:1.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Kimjarvie. Reason: Add photo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551367 by linrae
You need to know regulations relating to floor and wall gaps .
Has it a wet back Neighbours might notice its coal fired then complain and you will be up creek without a pedal.
Unless you got Consent from Council you will have no insurance,
By old something from the dump ,may have holes in body

More
3 years 11 months ago #551368 by Kimjarvie
It's been totally restored and we have no neighbors, also wont be burning coal in it. You haven't answered my question just made assumptions. Cheers.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551369 by linrae
If you say totally restored get certification cert from person who did it.
You will still need permit to cover your Back Side on installation and insurance
If you gave some idea where you are someone may be able to point you in the right direction

More
3 years 11 months ago #551370 by Kimjarvie
Yes that is my next step but as I bought it off trade me I have to track down the seller. I'm in the waikato but moving down to mokau in a couple of months and that is where we will be installing it.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551373 by tonybaker
Waitomo district council has a checklist for installing woodburners and you could email them to see if you need a permit in a rural zone (info@waidc.govt.nz)
Main issue is side clearance from flammable materials and the possibility of an explosion from wetback incorrectly installed.
Was seller Mike from Dunedin Listing #: 2592349422?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
3 years 11 months ago #551375 by Kimjarvie
No it wasn't him, and I rang waitomo this morning and they told me I needed to have it certified before installing and that's what I was asking earlier, did anyone know of anyone that does this? We are not installing the wetback.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551377 by linrae
I'm picking you might have to use this outdoors cost of getting it certified will more than likely shock you

More
3 years 11 months ago #551386 by Geba
Hi there,

Whoever (in New Plymouth?) nearby who manufactures flue parts will likely know who does certifications and installations. You could also check with local plumbers and gasfitters.

There are guides online about wood / coal fire required clearances, pretty sure it is 400mm from any combustible surface, you might also need to put in a rear heat shield which goes part way behind the flue length as some certifiers do the 'better safe than sorry' thing and there's a lot of heat at the base of the flue.
You might also be asked to ensure the hot sides of the stove are guarded if your stove is freestanding or going into an L shaped recess instead of a U shaped one.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551389 by Kimjarvie
Thank you, you've been very helpful.

More
3 years 11 months ago #551391 by tonybaker
you can reduce the side clearance by using heat resistant board

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kimjarvie

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #551404 by muri
This is my woodburner.
We bought it in from overseas, multi fuel burner so it is possible to install in an urban location.
I put it in the coldest part of the house - by the bathroom and bedrooms and a fan pushes the warm air into the lounge.
I didnt have clearance off the walls so we made a hearth and walls out of sheet metal
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by muri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kimjarvie

More
3 years 11 months ago #551405 by muri

This is the photo I tried to upload with the last. It shows the attachment of the metal to the wall, there is still air space behind it.
I would go to a well known company that installs such and they can proibably certify at the same time.
Any wood stove is now sold without a flue as these must be installed new, you cannot use second hand any more
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #551406 by tonybaker
nice job Muri, I did a similar thing but used a type of asbestos board, not true asbestos though, and cut short pieces of copper pipe to space it 30mm off the wall. A bit of overkill really as the sides of my stove are well insulated anyway. Rules are rules!

More
3 years 11 months ago #551407 by linrae
I dont think there will be any problem with installing the unit.
From having a read around the problem is going to be any repairs certified.
Its like a gas fitter replacing something halfway through a line.
Yes they can certify their work but dont know if the remainder of the work is up to standard,so normally wont do half pie job ..

Whatever happens please ensure you reply with the outcome even what advice you were given ,costs etc

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds