Buying a lifestyle Block: is it the right move.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551239 by Throughput
Greetings
I'm well. new here and I'm like a sponge. But not sponge Bob.

I am about to embark on the journey of lifestyle blocking...
Is that even a word? Is that even a thing?
I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to managing land. I do however have a head start in some areas. As I have a trade, two even. mechanical and electrical. So I think I have some good foundational skills to get me started.
So I am currently looking at bare land, in the north-land. I have a few boxes I need to tick for any prospective lifestyle property. the biggest one of course if my budget.
I have a few in my sights. But I really need some advice from those who have been there and done that, so to speak.
So one thing I have noticed is the rates in the north-land. woah are they high compared to my current location.
I have been looking north of Hokianga harbor. However. I am open to anywhere.
Anyone know where I Might find lifestyle properties for sale privately?
I'm excited about this, and I'm also a little scared of the unknown.
I don't wanna screw this up. And once I make the move there is no coming back...
Any advice..?

Only two things are infinite. Human stupidity, and the universe. And I'm not sure about the universe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551246 by Ruth
You're not from here, are you?! Just Northland will do for the general region. North of Hokianga and you're definitely in the mid-north, even quite possibly the Far North.

Try trademe listings for private sales? Not sure.

Welcome to the forum. :)

More
2 years 1 month ago #551253 by To Do List
I'm not from round there either ... but I went back to being a lifestyler or so the name goes nowadays.
There's a good reason the nickname is 'life sentence block' !
I grew up on a farm and I've got trades and qualifications too but while they're very handy for all things in life (and lifestyling too) I feel what you need most is a positive attitude, not be scared of work (of all kinds 'cause you'll find yourself doing jobs you never envisaged), actually you need to look at it as what you enjoy to fill in your days rather than work. If you look at it as work in the negative sense then lifestylin' ain't for you. You want the ability to adapt and change with the seasons and everything thing else unexpected, not be scared to listen to advice and the ability to sort thru it for what suits your situation, not be scared to make decisions and not be too proud to admit you're wrong and not hesitate to change what didn't work and keep you eyes open to know the difference !
Sometimes it takes a radical thinker to improve what's always been done a certain way .. and sometimes things have always been done a certain way for a damn good reason ! Your trick is figure which one is right ? When you find an area you like, then look just as hard at the neighboring properties to see how they fit with your dreams for your place.

Live with the place as it is for a start until you get in tune with how things are done around here ...
I've often said I might as well have bought 700 acres as just 7 .. you need all the same gear for farming it !
You will never be bored and don't write a to do list .. it will overwhelm you just how long it becomes. Other than that it's great and I have no intention to ever live back in a big city again.

Go on take the plunge, don't live a half depressed life always wondering what might have been ... B)

More
2 years 1 month ago #551256 by linrae
Whatever you do one of the first things to consider is WATER supply /storage .
If you think 2 tanks put 3 in especially if you want to garden ,stock etc.
Check local body building requirements before committing your self to a purchase especially if wanting to move an older house on

More
2 years 1 month ago #551257 by linrae
You say Private Sale land.
A lot of farms have numerous titles that can be sold off without having to do a subdivision,
I would be finding an area you like get land plan showing titles and see if you can find anything if you don"t want to deal with land agents who normally have a larger range of properties than you will find.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551329 by PennyJ
I live Kaikohe way and the climate and soil is great but jobs are very thin on the ground (even before Covid) so consider that if you need extra income.

I'm finding getting any advice/help is more difficult than extracting blood from a stone, information which would be helpful is seldom offered. It can be conflicting too. However that could be because I'm an English woman on my own rather than a Kiwi bloke with a Mrs. Practical help is non existent.
Consider what is surrounding the land being used for as there is quite a bit of land up here which is being grown for weed seed banks rather than anything productive, weed seeds travel very well and they take up a lot of time.

All the best with your search.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551331 by Ruth

PennyJ wrote: ...
I'm finding getting any advice/help is more difficult than extracting blood from a stone, information which would be helpful is seldom offered....

Lucky you found all of us!

More
2 years 1 month ago #551427 by rees777
Welcome to the site. You will find a wealth of information to fill your sponge!
I normally only read information on this site, not reply to people, as we too are novices at being Lifestylers, however I thought I would give you our 'two cents' worth.
We purchased a lifestyle block in Taipa, Northland just over two years ago. We initially looked in the Hokianga area and then came over and looked at Peria/Taipa as they were cheaper areas and the beaches are stunning. We purchased via private sale through sellahouse which is no longer an operating website. We found the site via Trovit though, so you could look there. If you are looking for bush blocks, they often come up in Peria. Homesell, and selldirect.co.nz are two other sites you could try.
A private sale is simple, a lawyer can draft up the sale and purchase agreement for you. Its the second time we have purchased via a private sale.
We had a list of things we wanted the land to offer, and ideas as to what we wanted to do with the land. Its good to have a list as it will narrow down your search. We initially were looking for a bare block, but purchased land with a very rundown house and shed on it for $170,000 for 8 hectares. The existing driveway, water tanks, solar panels, composting toilet saved us around $80,000 in outlay. They were all very run down and the land had not been worked for 6 years so we had to do a load of work to get it up to scratch (and are still working on it). We have spent $30,000 so far getting excavation work done, the driveway fixed and gravel delivered, geo tech reports so we know what type of clay we are on, council consents, repairing the solar system, painting the inside of the house and getting it livable again. I'm being open with the costs so you can see what you may be up against.
If you are planing on doing any building work, you will need council consent. The consent costs are not high, but council are not easy to deal with.
As for rates, yes they are high but hey, we knew the costs before we purchased.
Our plans and ideas have changed many times already as we get familiar with the land, the clay we are sitting on, and what we can do with it.
We absolutely love it up here - the people, climate, beaches, quiet (apart from the farming and nature sounds of course), living on the land, clearing the land and making our new life work for us.
Yes it's hard work, but we are hard working people, adaptable and have a 'can do attitude'. A lot of our friends and family thought we were nuts coming up here and leaving the rat race, but we don't regret it for a moment. Interestingly those same people are pro our move now they have come up and seen what we have achieved and the peace we live in.
Mechanical and electrical skills will definitely be a help as it means you are practical. Google, Youtube, and this site are excellent help for other information you might need.
All the best with your search and move. Yes the leap is scary, but the landing is outstanding!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edibledog

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds