Gas Appliances

More
4 years 1 month ago #551133 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Gas Appliances
Hi linrae, we have an electric water heater for summer as it costs nothing to run off solar whereas a gas cylinder costs $102 per fill plus solar electric is better for the planet
The following user(s) said Thank You: new@this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551136 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Gas Appliances
Hi NEW@this
All credit to you having a crack at this lifestyle setup.
Can you explain to me (others may have interest also) how when and why you decided this was the why you wanted to go.
Also what where and whom have been sources for information.

Cheers:cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: new@this

More
4 years 1 month ago #551139 by new@this
Replied by new@this on topic Gas Appliances
Hey I think I didnt make it clear in the beginning. I have no choice but to go off grid. Our property is very isolated. We are also building on Family land so this is defininately our forever home. It is a standard 3 bed/2bath home with garage, 4 occupants so have chosen the 4.7kw system to handle the load of a functioning house.

Sources of info: Mate Ive talked to so many people that i just got confused in the end. Good thing is that i spent the first 17 years of my life living off grid (bit of solar and candle lighting). So my parents have been a help. I went with Green Spark Solar who sub contract from Christchurch. Thing is when im trying to buy quality appliances, retailers dont really seem to know how to problem solve.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551140 by new@this
I can totally understand your thinking here.

More
4 years 1 month ago #551141 by new@this
Thanks Ronnie. I can run off mains gas. It isnt available to our very remote area so LPG is my only option, as is solar. The last power pole about 2kms away. I will definitely share my findings. There is much learning going on for me and if sharing can either confirm with veteran Off-gridders that their knowledge is valued or it can make someone elses journey a little more informed then great!

So your recommendation would be to get a free standing gas/gas or seperate wall oven and hob both gas?

More
4 years 1 month ago #551142 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Gas Appliances
In Europe, gas ovens are common as their central heating is gas so it's a cheap option. Italians seem to make reliable gas appliances, we have a Parmco gas hob running off a 9kg bottle, it has electric oven which is rarely used as we have a woodburner oven (which can also use electric) and a medium sized bench top oven which we use regularly. As long as you don't put your head in a gas oven, they seem to be relatively safe!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #551258 by PatrickHerd
Replied by PatrickHerd on topic Gas Appliances
Electrical engineer here:
We bought our current place as "off grid" 12V lights, LPG stove, hot water, and fridge, petrol water pump, diesel to noise converter to power the washing machine etc.
I'll make one throwaway comment which is that running electricity 2km isn't that daunting, if you do go three phase.

I can share our gas appliance experiences which should be helpful:
The stove was an earlier version of this one www.belling.com.au/products-1/freestandi...-stainless-steel-lpg The hob I would describe as being "ok" and slightly more refined than cooking on a burning tree. It was a pain to clean, not super controllable, and quite slow. The oven was more of a steam room to be honest, forget about baking anything with a crust.
We have since remodeled the kitchen and replaced the stove with a Bosch induction hob and pyrolytic oven.

Our hot water is still one of these: www.bosch-thermotechnology.co.nz/nz/en/o...l-compact-1100771-p/
It's ok but quite sensitive to changes in water flow, this means adjusting the shower mixer a fraction can cause the water to go from arctic to lava without warning. It can't have feed water hotter than 40 degrees (will expand on this shortly)

If I were in your situation, I would definitely put in a hot water cylinder with a wetback from the fire. Nothing better than free hot water.
I would then fit the solar system with an energy diverter to an element in the cylinder. That means whenever your batteries are full you're also getting free hot water (goes hand in hand well with the wet back system)

I would then feed the pre heated water from the cylinder into an LPG hot water unit such as a Rinnai infinity which can be supplied with 60 degree water.

That arrangement would ensure you have hot water all year round with minimal expenditure and carbon emissions. Bear in mind as it's your forever home, LPG is going to get significantly more expensive over the next 10 years or so.

Re: Dishwasher, we bought a Bosch which can be hot filled, it was fed from the gas hot water until we upgraded the electrical capacity enough to not need it.

Happy to answer questions etc :)

Patrick

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds