Gas Appliances

More
2 years 1 month ago #551116 by [email protected]
Hi everyone.
I am in the process of building a new home completely off grid. We have a decent sized solar system with integrated inverter 4.7KW. Cooking and water heating will be LPG Gas and heating through a woodfire.
Its a bit exciting but new territory for me to navigate.
Ive been able to find help with most things but kitchen appliances are doing my head in. I would appreciate a little guidance in this area.
Apart from PARMCO does anyone know of any other brands that do a good 60cm GAS WALL OVEN?

Does anyone have the luxury of a dishwasher? Dishwashers have an internal heater that heats the water. Im trying to avoid using the solar for this. I heard that some Miele and Bosche models could be fed via the mains hotwater system. Anyone with experience here?

Thanks so much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551117 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Gas Appliances
Would you not be better to have a free standing Hob - Oven running on gas or have a separate wood oven

Helps if you give an idea of the area you are in someone may know of similar uses in your area.

Just my thoughts

More
2 years 1 month ago #551119 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Gas Appliances
Thanks for your reply :) Im in the northland area. There are plenty of free standing options available nationwide. However Im specifically wanting a wall version oven and seperate gas option if i can locate one. No reason apart from the fact i think they look better built in. Id go with the parmco one but the door is a little flimsy.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #551120 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Gas Appliances
Hi and welcome

We're off-grid and we have a free-standing oven, there's a serious lack of choice when it comes to gas ovens. Do let me know if you get the parmco one if it works out for you.
We have a single drawer F&P dishwasher. It does heat the water so not ideal but it doesn't use much water so not much electricity.

After nearly 10 years off-grid we're much more relaxed about what we can do. When we were first here I wouldn't have even considered getting a steam mop. Now I couldn't live without it B)

It's a learning process but there's quite a bit of flexibility...

Web Goddess
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by kate.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551121 by linrae
I would agree but your call i would be going other way ,gas installation would be lot cheaper only one appliance to certify run off larger bottle,
Do you have larger (70kg) delivery in your area check out other wise changing bottles often

More
2 years 1 month ago #551122 by [email protected]
Wow! I didnt actually consider certification of 2 units vs on1. Thank you. Yes the gas company here delivers the large bottle to my neighbours so shouldnt be a problem.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551123 by [email protected]
Thanks Kate, You've prompted a couple of things i never considered. Dish drawers could be the go if i cant find what Im looking for. Most of the time id use one. Just helpful having a second one when the family all come for dinner.
10 years off grid, awesome! Im still in nervous mode. Nervous that my house will be dark in winter and even more fearful of having to live without a dishwasher :) What size solar system are you running

More
2 years 1 month ago #551125 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Gas Appliances
Hi there and welcome :)

I know absolutely nothing about dish washers but can possibly help with your choice of gas oven. I went down this track a couple of years ago when my electric stove came up for replacement. I had cooked with mains gas nearly 40 years ago in Auckland using a stove that had gabriole (sp) legs and, as old as it was, it was the best stove I had ever used. So I decided to replace the stove with gas and that was a real learning curve. I got a huge amount of help from this site, those who sell gas stoves and my daughter who bought a fully gas stove and lived to regret it - she was also on LPG. Like you, I wanted full gas - both hob and oven but the overwhelming consensus of opinion from all those mentioned above was get the gas hob by all means but forget the gas oven if running on LPG. They are unreliable and if you are into baking, almost hopeless. They don't hold their heat consistently unlike mains gas or electric, meaning that their heat fluctuates quite badly.

I decided that so many people - and I spoke to many - saying the same thing couldn't all be wrong and opted for a gas hob with an electric oven. I've not lived to regret it. It's also interesting to note that not all gas is created equal - when my stove arrived the chap who installed it had to change the jets over from mains gas to LPG gas.

Good luck with your venture and would like to know what you do about stoves at the end of the day.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
2 years 1 month ago #551126 by linrae
Don't worry about Jet changes .If u have a BBQ u even change jets if u wish to run on mains gas rather than bottled gas.Due to pressure difference in supply.
Think of wood stove also. some have water jacket for heating water what about using that also for room heating outlets.
What sort of room heating .
In
I like yr ideas but think serious if u are older age group the xtra cost setting up especially batteries you will not recoup in perceived savings.My neighbour power bill £60 but. no batteries and he is Electrician Inspector they can't use dishwasher or wash machine unless very sunny.Has wood fire wetback He reckons unless u in house for 20 years won't recoup expenae

More
2 years 1 month ago #551127 by Ratman
Replied by Ratman on topic Gas Appliances
I have also heard that cooking with a gas oven is disappointing.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551128 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Gas Appliances
Hi
we are doing the same as you. We recently replaced our PARMCO wall oven with a .........PARMCO wall oven. Its the only one we could find. Its ok but not great. The main problem is it goes out sometimes, not a lot, but still annoying. However it cooks and grills ok. If you have room get an electric water heater plumbed in. From october to april out 4.7Kw array produces way more power than we need, the batteries are full by 11am mid summer (but there is only 2 of us) so we turn on the electric water heater rather than waste gas (we turn it off at night). We have a dish washer but i don't like the chemicals so don't use it. We also use an electric kettle over summer and electric toaster.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551129 by linrae
Why the heck would you want an Electric Water heater.
You have gas supply install an instant heater Bosch or Rinnai Does not take up any space as fastened to outside building,
Its a NO BRAINER to put electric heater in if you are off grid

More
2 years 1 month ago #551130 by linrae
I Trust you are putting a wetback onto your woodfire

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #551131 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Gas Appliances

[email protected] wrote: Thanks Kate, You've prompted a couple of things i never considered. Dish drawers could be the go if i cant find what Im looking for. Most of the time id use one. Just helpful having a second one when the family all come for dinner.
10 years off grid, awesome! Im still in nervous mode. Nervous that my house will be dark in winter and even more fearful of having to live without a dishwasher :) What size solar system are you running

Don't be nervous, it's really not difficult. If you're in Northland then there's a good chance that you're working with Darren Hill in which case you're in good hands. Once you've set up the appliances and the solar system is up and running you can almost forget about it. We have to run the generator occasionally to top up the batteries but it's no big deal. Our neighbours who are on-grid are the one's whose houses are dark in winter when the power is cut off. We're fine B) B)

It does help to be organised though. We're still running two freezers right now which is crazy as the days are getting short. The lockdown means we have more bread and milk than usual frozen so we only have to shop once a week. Usually we run only one freezer over the darker months....it's not the season it's the length of days that counts.

I have to agree that gas ovens aren't great but Geoff makes biscuits almost every week and I make sourdough bread so it can be done, Anyway, you don't really have a choice.

There are definite advantages too - I was going to vacuum and steam mop the house today (it's all tiled no carpet) but the weather is not good so I'm postponing it until the sun shines B)

I think so little about the system that I'll have to look up the specs...

Web Goddess
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by kate.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551132 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Gas Appliances
Payback time and resale are important things to consider when going off grid. Rather make your savings elsewhere?
For water heating consider a direct electrical feed from your solar panel to the heating element in your cylinder. Also fit a wetback of course. You can connect a dishwasher to hot only but you need a special hose, and given the small amount of water a machine uses, it will likely still be cold by the time it hits the machine anyway. My older F&P is on hot only and has been fine and washes ok. Smaller bench top ovens don't take much power and heat up quicker and can cook a roast. If going for gas use a small 9kg bottle or you will pay extra for hiring big cylinders.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds