Deter pukeko

More
2 years 2 months ago #551112 by Mandyraranga
Deter pukeko was created by Mandyraranga
Kia ora koutou, Mandy here, I live on an acre of land next to the Hatea River in Whangarei. Our place has recently downscaled to chickens and dogs, fruit trees, gardens, native bush corridors and my personal pa korari.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #551114 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Deter pukeko
Tēnā koe Mandy. Welcome to the forum. I have a couple of kairaranga friends who are able to treat my plantings as their personal supply, too. Nice. (Except neither of them has been to tend the plants for several weeks, for obvious reasons!)

More
2 years 2 months ago #551137 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Deter pukeko
We have a tiny population of pukeko establishing themselves in the bottom paddock. So far, they seem to be deterred by dog barking so have not helped themselves to the fruit and veges. The wrekas on the other hand are not afraid of dogs, and they love sampling anything. The rabbits also used to be a real problem but since we buried fine netting around the garden fence they have not made an appearance in the vege garden.

More
2 years 2 months ago #551143 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Deter pukeko
To stop Pukeko pulling out your plants, mulch around them. The best mulch, if rural is gorse. Its has a lot of nutritional value to help feed the plant and it will keep the rabbits off at the same time.
Works a treat
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mandyraranga

More
2 years 2 months ago #551150 by linrae
Replied by linrae on topic Deter pukeko
Shoot a few Boil them for 15 mins with a large stone.
Eat the stone put Puke bodies round garden they will eat meat where possible seen them catch rats.

More
2 years 2 months ago #551151 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Deter pukeko

linrae wrote: Shoot a few Boil them for 15 mins with a large stone.
Eat the stone put Puke bodies round garden they will eat meat where possible seen them catch rats.

After they're boiled? Seems unlikely. ;)

More
2 years 2 months ago #551152 by linrae
How else you going to get flavour in the stone

Surely youve done it Ruth

More
2 years 2 months ago #551153 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Deter pukeko
Only if you boil it til the stone is soft. Otherwise it will have as many sinews as the pukeko

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 2 months ago #551157 by linrae
Slow Cooker with Pinot Noir works best

More
2 years 2 months ago #551160 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Deter pukeko

linrae wrote: Slow Cooker with Pinot Noir works best

But you could get stoned on that! :evil:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 2 months ago #551178 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Deter pukeko
I tried to mulch around our pukeko, but they kept moving...

More
2 years 2 months ago #551179 by linrae
Touchee: :) :woohoo: :

More
2 years 2 months ago #551183 by Mandyraranga
Replied by Mandyraranga on topic Deter pukeko
I already mulch heavily with tree prunings but gorse sounds great. I'll give that a try. Just found some of my 2nd lot of broadbeans destroyed.

More
2 years 1 month ago #551234 by To Do List
Replied by To Do List on topic Deter pukeko
I have pukeko living and breeding here and the only problem I ever had was quite recent where I just hadn't got a 'round tuit' putting mulch over one lot of daffodil bulbs. Pukekos had a dig in them probably for grubs and then blackbirds kept going and dug several out completely. Put bark mulch over them and they've been left alone since. Interesting mulch is a known deterrent, I found out by total luck. But wondering if your problem is the pukekos and not something else ?

Know of a funny case not far from here where a bloke got all mad and anti pukeko because they were digging up his garden ... then he found it wasn't the pukes at all ... it was the pheasants he'd just bought !

Poor ole pukes get a bad rap but did you know ... those holes you find in the paddock where I've heard heaps of guys blame pukes for pulling out and eating the grass (and sometimes they do) but mostly it's them digging for grass grub. Forest and Bird told me that pukes are one of the very few, but best natural predator of grass grub. So for all the farmers that hate them .. learn to love them as they're actually doing you a real good service.
Now ducks on the other hand are better in the pot !

More
2 years 1 month ago #551235 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Deter pukeko
I like Pukes but there is no doubt about it, they can be devastating to a garden and to other wild life if numbers are allowed to climb. In the paddocks immediately surrounding the house I've counted up to 50'ish and that's too many. I've watched them take off with ducklings, sparrows, chaffinches, frogs and young eels - and that's only what I see. Yes, they do deal with grub and carrot weed but in large numbers they become a problem in themselves. They, along with the Paradise Duck and Harrier Hawk, adapted very well to our agrarian way of life and thrive on it.

If you have access to sheep dags, they are another good mulch and source of nutriment but mainly for trees. Pukes are not overly fussed about digging around in stuff they can't get through. The other plus side of dags or sheep wool is that possums don't like it either as they get their claws stuck in it. Because I can't get rid of my wool, I've been using it around our fruit trees - the trees look wonderful and we've had the most fruit ever - no Pukes and no possums. However, it does take a long time to break down which makes it limited in the garden.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds