New to the Group

More
2 years 2 months ago #550905 by Shazzrr
New to the Group was created by Shazzrr
Hi all, Just joined this group today as we have just brought a small lifestyle block in Drury 3 acres a month ago today, I have been reading up and I see it says to get soil test done should we do this before we get a cow? we are looking at getting 2 cows only do you think 2 cows ok for 3 acres?, what is the best way of buying a cow? Sorry for the stupid questions but this is all new to us. I did have horses when I was young. Then moved into town now back out on land. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #550909 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New to the Group
Currently all saleyards are closed due to the virus, and your nearest one is Tuakau, or Saturday markets at Pukekohe. There is also the option of Trade me, but also rules around that too due to the virus. What are your plans for the cows? are you just looking for grazers,(pets) or, something that will grow into meat for you for the future. 3 acres will not support adult cattle even with supplementary winter feed. It might just be doable if you split the ages of the cattle so that you home-kill the oldest one and replace with a weaner each year, but it would take discipline and serious supplementary feeding. Smaller animals such a small number of sheep could be a better option but be mindful of how close you are to urban neighbours, and marauding dogs..

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shazzrr

More
2 years 2 months ago #550910 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic New to the Group
Hi and welcome!

We soil test, but that is to see what is needed at fertiliser time, as well as measuring the PH for lime application. We also have a mineral test done as NZ soils are notorious for being low in various minerals. We have those added to the fert too.

When was your property last fertilized?

Are you registered for NAIT? YOu will need to be to buy and sell stock. Yes there are people around who do not register, however they may incur the wrath from those who do the right thing. animaltrace.nait.co.nz/

What are your fences like? What water supply do you have? Do you have a loading ramp and yards?

More
2 years 2 months ago #550911 by Shazzrr
Replied by Shazzrr on topic New to the Group
looking at cows for meat, no we have farms all around us. Thanks

More
2 years 2 months ago #550912 by Shazzrr
Replied by Shazzrr on topic New to the Group
I dont know about when the last time it was fertilized, yes I have registered for nait, water all good so are the fences, people have not had animals on here for a while it was empty since November thats when this place was up for sale so grass was long but they got some one to come and mow it for hay, no loading ramp it has a small paddock/yard. Thanks

More
2 years 2 months ago #550913 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New to the Group
soil test is not urgent, your place is too small for cows, try a few sheep, preferably ones you don't have to shear like Wiltshires or Dorpers. These are easy care and you don't need yards. What you sell the lambs for will buy you plenty of beef without the worry of having large animals and getting involved with NAIT issues.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds