Plant control

More
3 years 10 months ago #550718 by Sarahh
Plant control was created by Sarahh
Please can someone tell me which product we can spray rushes or reeds with they ate taking over. They have just been topped. We have four acres grazing 8 Wilshire ewes.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #550722 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Plant control
Rushes usually signify damp areas which are also usually more acidic than other places. I now have two very good paddocks which were once almost entirely covered in rushes. It was the application of lime that made the most difference, along with some weed wiping with glyphosate.

Have you done any soil testing? Where are you? [Please put at least your area in your profile!] Welcome to the forum. :)

More
3 years 10 months ago #550741 by Sarahh
Replied by Sarahh on topic Plant control
Thank you that's really helpful

More
3 years 10 months ago #550746 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Plant control
Ticks over-winter in rushes apparently so a good thing to get rid of.
Rushes main need is for wet soil so if you want to get rid of them, you have to change the moisture content and a drought here is doing a good job of knocking back the rushes in my paddocks.
Liming will help for a while but short term, draining the paddocks is also a major.
Glysophate will deal with them.
I am going to try tackling them in a way we have been tackling ginger locally. Cut it back as hard as possible and add quickline over the cuts, covering them all - use gloves when applying the lime.
We have got rid of some very big ginger growths this way so worth trying with the rushes

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #550747 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Plant control
I have had great success following Ruth's recommendations:
1. Obtain a hockey stick weed wiper.
2. When no rain is forecast for the day, fill the wiper with glyphosate in a ratio of 1/3 glyphosate to 2/3 water, and a bit of wetting agent (to make it stick to the waxy sedge stalks). This is very strong, so use gloves and lots of precautions. Don't even wave it near any plant you want to keep. Don't bother using any dye marker - you won't see it on the sedge, you'll just have to remember where you've done.
3. Go out to the paddocks and wipe the stick up and down the green sedge leaves. Make sure you work it into the centre of each clump.
4. Sweat a lot - this is hard work. Become convinced you've done some clumps three times and others not at all. Swear.
5. At the end of the day return home disheartened, as it looks like you've achieved nothing.
6. Repeat 2 - 5 until all sedge is treated.
7. In a month, rejoice as you see the clumps turning yellowish.
8. Swear as you see some clumps that you obviously missed because they are still bright green. Fill up the hockey stick again...
9. In a year - no sedge.

As it's so hard to see where you've done, I use hot tape to mark out a "swim lane" across the paddock and work slowly forward doing only what's in my lane until I reach the fence. Then mark out a new lane alongside and return doing the same,
Good luck!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Furball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ruth, AdamLapsley

More
3 years 10 months ago #550749 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Plant control
Furball, I would like to nominate your post for Best in Show!

Excellent instructions. Sedge and rushes are different plants but the elimination methods are the same. Australian Sedge in particular is a complete bastard.

You may see some people's pastures where they have spot sprayed rushes and there is dead grass around every plant. Wiping is better in leaving the pasture grass mostly alone - sometimes get a few spots around if your weed wiper wick was very wet.

Muri I think ticks hang out in any grass, rushes included but not especially.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds