New to forum and lifestyle!

More
2 years 3 months ago #550453 by vorno
Hi everyone,

My wife and I were extremely lucky to have settled on a property in lovely Hikurangi, Whangarei - 1 week exactly before the lockdown kicked in.

As apartment dwellers from Auckland, it is going to be a huge adjustment looking after 1.7ha of land, but we very much look forward to it.

I'm very grateful for finding this website and the plethora of information available - so much to learn and do!

I look forward to learning as much as possible and perhaps make some friends along the way :)

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #550466 by tonybaker
perfect size of land for a newbie! Tell us what's on it already and what your plans are? My first piece of advice is to stay away from IRD and GST!!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47, vorno

More
2 years 3 months ago #550468 by neil postie
welcome, at least with the lock down you have space to move and loads of time to sort what you want to do. This forum is a great help, so is youtube.

More
2 years 3 months ago #550476 by vorno
Replied by vorno on topic New to forum and lifestyle!

tonybaker wrote: perfect size of land for a newbie! Tell us what's on it already and what your plans are? My first piece of advice is to stay away from IRD and GST!!

Well, it's on quite a steep plot, it's separated into multiple paddocks (all fenced and gated) and the previous owner had ~4 cows on the property. One or two of the paddocks have what seems to be full of very small poplar trees (could be wrong!), one is completely overrun by gorse and the rest basically grased areas with leftover cow pats!

Luckily most paddocks are gravity fed from a water tank already, but the upper most paddocks have only a very small water collection into one of those 1000L plastic containers and nothing to feed with.

As for livestock, I've never owned any but have thought about getting self-shedding sheep to make it easier as I wouldn't want to pay someone to shear sheep for me!

Not quite sure what's in store for the land in the time being, but looking for some advice as well :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47

More
2 years 3 months ago #550529 by tonybaker
Water is crucial, so sort that out first. The poplars may well be regrowth from having been cleared, luckily stock like poplar leaves. The cow pats are good fertiliser so that's good too. The gorse is an issue, hard to get rid of. You may decide to plant natives in amongst it as when they shade the gorse, it will stop growing. Important though to prevent spread to other paddocks.
Wiltshire or Dorper sheep are very easy care and will eat rougher tucker, maybe gorse too. Cows will probably cause erosion on a steeper slope, best to avoid.
What's the situation re power supply and internet? Any permission to build in this area?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 3 months ago #550531 by kate
Replied by kate on topic New to forum and lifestyle!
Hi neighbour B)

The most important thing to know about Hika is how great the co-op is. Sadly, this is not the time as I think they're closed. But as soon as you can I'd advise joining.

I'd invite you over here but....

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
2 years 3 months ago #550536 by Stikkibeek
Parts of Northland are clay and can be subject to slips. Poplars are planted to be used for either cattle feed, or, to help keep land stable where prone to slips areas may be. Have a careful look at the land form where they are planted, and make sure they are not on a slip zone. Springs can be an indication, so keep up the planting if you see these types of damp patches and sunken land forms. If all good, then use them for feed as needed and let regrow.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: vorno

More
2 years 3 months ago #550554 by Live4cows
Could someone help me with why I am unable to post a topic please

More
2 years 3 months ago #550566 by kate
This is the only post you have made....

Web Goddess

More
2 years 3 months ago #550584 by Live4cows
I would like to post a topic please

More
2 years 3 months ago #550585 by tonybaker
go to top of page and click box "new Topic". Maybe you have to be approved by Kate before you can? Otherwise just write your reply in here....

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #550586 by kate
You should see a menu bar above, if you're on a phone it will be a series of small horizonal lines above the forum (see screen shot below) If you're on a tablet or PC then you should see a series of tabs. One of the menu options is 'New Topic', click on that and just post as you have here.

Any problems let me know.

Web Goddess
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by kate.

More
2 years 3 months ago #550588 by Live4cows
Hi Kate, thanks for your reply. Yes I have gotten that far but when I click Submit it just refreshes the page with no error messages or anything.

More
2 years 3 months ago #550589 by kate
That's weird....do you have access to another device to try?

As long as you have a title and a bit of text in the text box it should work.

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Live4cows

More
2 years 3 months ago #550591 by Live4cows
Tried on a different device and it worked. Thank you for your help!

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds