Hi from an herbal gardener

More
4 years 5 months ago #549324 by Herbal Garden
Hi,
We farm pigs and sheep on our block and have developed an herb garden. I have revamped it a bit recently and planted some new herbs along with increasing the herbs that are already there. Many of the herbs are annuals that need replanting each season, some are perennials and are still good to go. We now have a root crop of ginger growing alongside the turmeric and I hope to grow 1 or 2 clove trees in the heated propagating shed, once cleaned out. The turmeric is looking a bit sad and may need to be replaced, which I will do when I find a supplier.
The pigs are loving it here, they love the rain and the easy digging of the volcanic soil. They are unearthing loads of rocks we can pick up and move without having to dig them ourselves. Absolutely loving that we live off the main road. Cell coverage is good & Broadband fast(thankfully) with school bus stop only 5 mins drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #549326 by jeannielea
Lucky you to be able to grow ginger and turmeric. I have tried with little success though the turmeric did grow for a while. Where are you?

More
4 years 5 months ago #549327 by Herbal Garden
We are in Northland. The Turmeric and Ginger are in a bed that is covered to keep the soil as warm as possible in winter and shaded to avoid burning in summer.

More
4 years 5 months ago #549361 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Hi from an herbal gardener
I grew both but under cover as they dont like the very wet of winter. As they are deciduous, you can bring them in for the winter and start them indoors or under cover to get them going earlier as they need that real warmth to grow and hence to get them started.
I grew enough ginger not to need to buy in but it took about three years to build up enough before I started harvesting any.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds