Recommendations on best tools for a lifestyle block

More
2 years 8 months ago #548534 by Steve and Karen
Hi. We are looking at outfitting our shed with tools and would love to know what others favourites/best/recommendations. We have a 2 Hectare block in Wairau, Marlborough. Our intention is to run some stock on one hectare, and grow vege's and fruit on the other. We're building a shed at the moment, but it's not a shed until it has tools! So, we're looking for your recommendations for gardening tools, but I hope to improve my handyman skills too, so any advice there would also be really welcome. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #548542 by Ruth
Pipe wrenches and water pipe fittings because sometime you'll find a leak.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Ruth. Reason: Unreasonable and irrelevant skiting.

More
2 years 8 months ago #548543 by VioletFarmer
A grubber- for getting rid of thistles/ dock & other pesky weeds. Steel rake, shovel, spade, fork, garden hoe. 2 hammers, two hand saws, 2 pairs of pliers, wire cutters (for fencing wire), screw driver set, loppers/ hedge clippers/ secateurs. Hoses, plural & a good selection of spare attachments/ nozels etc. If you have sheep or cattle, a pair of blade shears- for clipping daggy bums (sheep) and trimming long/ poo encrusted tails (cattle). Buckets- not really a tool- but so many uses- & not those cheap $2 ones, the orange 20L mitre 10 ones, or old 10L 'tail paint' ones off a dairy farm if you can get them- they last for ages. The list is endless, depending on what your hobbies/ intentions/ plans are- but those are a few basic things that will be very handy.

More
2 years 8 months ago #548544 by Monteiro
Wow! Thanks for your recommended list! You just helped me too!!

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #548545 by iSor
Brooms- outdoor hard and soft bristle types for concrete floors

Wool packs- for filling up with general garden clippings on a small scale, otherwise use a trailer

Leaf blower- for tidying up

Hoe- for weeding, the torpedo type is good for getting close to plants
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by iSor.

More
2 years 8 months ago #548546 by Furball
What, no-one has yet mentioned the one absolutely indispensable tool: the fencing tool? It is THE thing for getting out recalcitrant staples, pulling wire join knots tight and finishing them off nicely, and it cuts wire way better than most wirecutters ever could.

More
2 years 8 months ago #548555 by Steve and Karen
"Fencing Tool" is now on the list...thanks!

More
2 years 8 months ago #548556 by tonybaker
I would go for cordless chainsaw, impact driver, good socket set, list is endless.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #548563 by Baroque
Tools:
Petrol chainsaw, sledge hammer, grubber for all farming type things

Fencing pliers, wire strainers, spinning jenny, pro-crimp fencing tool [my favourite!] for fences.

Animal related - drench gun and take off tubing, vaccinator, yards - either fixed or portable - you can use gates or pallets tied with baling twine in a corner for sheep.
Plus dagging shears, hoof trimmers, I personally find a pair of blunt bandage scissors very useful for trimming sheep that won't stay still. Rope to tie things up with.
Working gloves, rubber gloves, watering can and spray backpack for applying anti-flystrike preparation.
From vet - a pump action Tetravet [purple spray] will work well for most animal injuries

What you buy for animals will depend on what type of animals you intend to keep.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Baroque.

More
2 years 8 months ago #548571 by Stikkibeek
While I agree that torpedo hoes are useful, I find that i chop off more plants below the ground as you cannot see just where the tips are. I prefer the Wolf garten soil miller for weeding. I comes as a detachable so you can use the handle for other tools. Also you can see where the cutter is in relation to the plants you are weeding around.
I'd also recommend a good pole-saw and some of them can change attachments and become a hedge trimmer. other's have mentioned good options for essential gear. Add a good rammer to that for putting in posts especially if you are digging in by hand. A good batten holder also essential but not the commercial sort you hold with your hip. Those are very very bad for your hips and back. I'll try and get a photo of ours as it's very good. Use barbed staples for posts and battens too as they don't pull out easily if cattle put pressure on them.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
2 years 8 months ago #548573 by Farmersden
If you have the option of buying any fencing or gardening tools with the bright orange or yellow handles do it...you would not believe how many tools I have put down in the paddocks and lost!

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds