Hi from Southland

More
2 years 10 months ago #547584 by Carnivore1
Hi from Southland was created by Carnivore1
Just figured I’d say hi from the Deep South the land of milk & honey I was a shearer for many years , I have never considered my self a greeny but currently I work on the beef slaughter board after killing 150216 cattle for the year I’m thinking iv done my bit for climate Change :) , also my little slice of paradise is 100% organic .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #547594 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi from Southland
Welcome to the forum. :)
When I trained as an AI Tech at a works site, during morning tea one day the guys let us go up the race to the killing crush and watch how it all happened. I was struck by how tough a job that might be, especially long-term. It's not something most of us could do.

How easy is it to stun the wilder cattle without causing undue distress?

More
2 years 10 months ago #547595 by Carnivore1
Replied by Carnivore1 on topic Hi from Southland
Yea fare question , iv been a hunter since as long as I can remember it’s how we live organic lifestyle block , organic food from the hills & garden , I have always had strong ethnics in killing things after all we like the animals we farm for the freezer especially the cattle they get quite friendly It must always be a quick painless shot , at the works it’s a whole different level but I can tell you it’s amazing how clean the place is , & carcasses inspected multiple times , but to answer your question at first I was reluctant to work in the sticking pens mass slaughter has never been my thing but the day came when the boss wanted me up there so off I went & yep I can honestly say the cattle don’t no what’s hit them they roll out of the stun box like they have just been shot so on that note I’m happy enough doing what I do .

More
2 years 10 months ago #547599 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi from Southland
It occurred to me after I posted that you may have been down on the floor where the bloody bit happens.

I was reassured at the time of my visit, having imagined stressed out animals and horrible scenes but it was all done calmly and if any animal sensed what was coming after it happened to the one ahead (which they never saw), they certainly showed no outward signs, it was just another walk through a race.

I could see that quiet cattle would cope with it all much more easily than those not habituated to regular or close human contact.

More
2 years 10 months ago #547609 by Keirae
Replied by Keirae on topic Hi from Southland
Hi from a fellow Southlander :)

We are out Hedgehope way, just beginners after moving out from Invercargill last year.

Love that you run an all organic farm, will look forward to hearing about that in the future :)

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds