Calculating sheep gestation dates

More
2 years 10 months ago #547561 by Quantum
Hi all. I have just signed up to being a new member to this LSB forum, although I have been learning loads of very helpful info on here for a few years. I have a question I was hoping someone could help with. Is the day of mating counted as day 0 or as day 1 when calculating a due date for sheep? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #547562 by LongRidge
It does not matter because each sheep has a different average gestation length of plus or minus 7 days from the number of days you have been given - probably 150 days. With a single and a twin/multiple mated on the same day, the twin usually lambs sooner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quantum

More
2 years 10 months ago #547573 by muri
Dont get too hung up on lambing dates as the sheep will often do it differently anyway, and there are not only variations between the number of lambs to be birthed, but different breeds as well may vary slightly.
dorpersheep.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/sheep-gestation.pdf

More
2 years 10 months ago #547576 by tonybaker
good advice Muri! many LSB'ers rely on info from "real farmers" who have to make a profit from early lambs. I have always allowed the ram to run with the flock so the ewes lamb when they are ready - usually mid to late August. As you say, breeds and climate can make a big difference. Keep it simple.....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 years 10 months ago #547578 by Quantum
Thank you all, My ewe was mated on the 12th March (used mating harness with crayon colour changed every 10 days) and had her twins yesterday on the 9th August, so do you think I should record the number of days as 150 or as 151 for interest of my own records? Regards

More
2 years 10 months ago #547579 by Quantum
All went really well and she was my first ewe to ever have her lambs born while she was still standing up. (out of the ones I've been there for) The 3 ewes in lamb this year are mixed breed, mostly Romney crosses and are coloured. Looking forward to the next - which is due soon. :)

More
2 years 10 months ago #547587 by Nora

Quantum wrote: All went really well and she was my first ewe to ever have her lambs born while she was still standing up.

:woohoo:

More
2 years 10 months ago #547589 by LongRidge
Again you do not know exactly when the second one was conceived, which might not have been the first one out. We used to swap rams after each 17 days, and one year we had a purebred and a cross breed as twins. We always work to the earliest possible date so that next season we know when to expect what, so that we can be around to assist if needed. We have saved hundreds of lambs by doing 3 lambing rounds per day and having them in the paddock right in front of the house starting at the first possible date.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds