Small block in Whakatane

More
4 years 8 months ago #547069 by maximus22
We are in the process of buying 4 acres in Whakatane to plant a few trees. thinking of Macadamias at present along with a few other items. Just found your site and joined up. Like a number of Aucklanders we are moving out to fulfill my dream of living on the land... Grew up in Te Kauwhata so not totally unknown. Land has been used to raise yearlings and sheep. Any advise on getting the land ready for Macadamias appreciated.

We hope to grow most of our food needs and enjoy the fresh air for the next ten years or so.

cheers

Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #547090 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Small block in Whakatane
Hi Jon and welcome.
The things you will need to find out about macadamias are
1. What soil fertility they like. You will have to change the mineral composition of your soil from what grass/pasture likes to what macadamias like.
2. If anyone local has a harvesting method and a sales method. When we started walnuts were the rage, so I planted some, along with pine nuts. After 20 years the trees are producing a reasonable crop but with only 8 walnuts on steep ground, and 8 pine nuts on steeper ground I have to harvest them manually which is an awful job. And all that I have collected have been given away and not sold because there are not enough :-(.
3. The toxicity of the leaves and fruit to animals.
4. The water requirements of macadamia or any other crop you want to grow. It is very unlikely that you will get a permit to irrigate a couple of acres of a macadamia crop. You do not own the water under your land so legally you cannot irrigate unless you have a permit :-(.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47, maximus22

More
4 years 7 months ago #547127 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Small block in Whakatane
ideally, yes look at what the soil needs but it is very hard to alter the pH of a large area. Just go ahead and plant a few as a trial. Remember to give them plenty of space and use tree guards against rabbits. Don't plant anywhere near power lines. Spot spray the planting sites first and make sure the area is well fenced against stock.
I know these are all obvious things, but in our haste to do something with our block, we often ignore them!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrit47, maximus22

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds