Waratahs

More
3 years 3 months ago #545811 by bbb58
Waratahs was created by bbb58
Hi, my name is Ralph,
I'm new to the site and have a wee question for you guy's. I'm looking at fencing off an area to keep 3-4 cattle in and was wondering what length of waratah I should be using to make the fence. The ground is about 40-50 cms top soil and then straight into a sand with a bit of light clay in it, no stones and free draining.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #545812 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Waratahs
Hi and welcome. Without electrification, whatever length you use will be too short, because the cattle will push against the fence to reach the food on the other side, and to rub themselves. With a good electric fence system then you will only need the fence to be 3 wires, top two hot and one near ground level earthed, so about 1.6 meter Y posts. Hot top about 1m high, next down about 600mm off the ground and hot, bottom 250 mm up and cold, about 8 meters apart. But you will need proper strainer and stay assemblies at both ends. Attach the power connections to the hot wires so that you can make the middle wire cold so that when the grass grows long the cattle can clear under the fence without being shocked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bbb58

More
3 years 3 months ago #545820 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Waratahs
When we bought our farm, we also inherited pretty crappy fences. One of my hubby's pet peeves were the rosted-at-ground-level waratah leftovers that ruin gumboots and animals hooves and paws alike.
Since we took over, Waratahs have not been used any more on our property. - Now that they have the recycled-plastic variety, however, we might reconsider.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth
The following user(s) said Thank You: bbb58

More
3 years 3 months ago #545823 by bbb58
Replied by bbb58 on topic Waratahs
Interesting that you say that, my boundary fence is a combination of timber posts and waratahs alternately, they seem to work well enough and are very sturdy. I think I may have to continue in the same vein when I split up the paddock, which at the moment is around 4 and a half acres, with a new house that I want to keep livestock away from.

I must admit I hadn't heard of the recycled plastic wrartahs, are they as strong as the steel ones?

Regards,

Ralph.

More
3 years 3 months ago #545827 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Waratahs

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
3 years 3 months ago #545829 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Waratahs
Most of our Australian real "Waratahs" have lasted 25 years or longer in the soil because we are free-draining. But the much cheaper other ones do not last anywhere near as long. Part of a steel posts "stay-ability" is because there is a little bit of rusting underground which welds it to the surrounding story.
With your cattle you are going to need to make winter feed with surplus grass growth in spring, to feed it out when you have a feed shortage. It is hugely easier if you have big and unobstructed paddocks to do this. With cattle that have been trained to hot wire tapes, they can be kept in with just one wind-up tape and push-in standards. If I were doing just cattle I would have a hotwire around the boundary fences and water troughs positioned so that I could temporary fence an area of rhe big paddock. I would have a smaller paddock next to the cattle yards that I could train newly purchased stock to respect electrics.
I don't have a cattle dog any longer, so I move the tape to get the cattle out of paddocks and where I want them. But, if you get an animal that learns how to sniff the fence to check if it's on, then it has to go very quickly. They get home-killed for meat here if they are not up to sale size.

More
3 years 3 months ago #545843 by bbb58
Replied by bbb58 on topic Waratahs
I can see that I have a lot to learn.
Cheers!

More
3 years 3 months ago #545856 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Waratahs
go solar electric and then you can use any type of post. A hungry or randy beast will push over any fence, but not an electrified one.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds