Another newbie to the Lifestyle world

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #542887 by joshbell
Hi,
we've just bought ourselves 1/2 a hectare of flat paddock in Hiwinui in the mighty Manawatu. Not entirely sure what we are going to do with it yet other than putting a house on it. We are thinking maybe we'll run a couple of chickens and maybe a porker or two, do we have the land for this?
Also have been offered to run a cow with a friends beef flock down the road, how would one usually sort out the details of this, who pays for what? whats the rough annual running cost of a cow? Its effectively a herdshare arrangement i believe, but i cant find any NZ info on this.

thanks in advance

Josh
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by joshbell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #542997 by VioletFarmer
Hi J.B, half a hectare is not huge, but its big enough for maybe few dozen hens, a couple of pigs- but you will need a pigsty or electric fenced area to stop them escaping. As to the cow- I assume it will be visiting a bull periodically? Do your friends have one or will you have to pay to borrow one or do AI? The resulting calf could be payment for the grazing? Are you planning to share milk her also? Or is the 'cow' just being grown on to prime weight & then sold to the works/ sale yard or butchered for home kill? If the home kill option- seeing as you + friends are both sharing the care of said animal- both parties can partake of said resulting meat. Maybe you can trade with them for the grazing fee? Cattle need a drench if wormy, a 7 in 1 vaccination yearly, and plenty of grass & maybe hay/ bailage/ silage over winter or in times of drought & fresh, clean water always. Otherwise they are pretty low maintenance unless in calf/ lactating when they need a bit more care. Has your friend asked for a grazing fee? Seeing as they already have cattle- maybe they have an idea of what they want in exchange?

More
5 years 4 months ago #543001 by LongRidge
Hi Josh.. Being close to neighbours will be the main problem with running fowls and a couple of pigs. If that is not a problem, then the next main problem is cost. If you have to buy food for them then it is not economical. Also, pig food that has been in contact with cooked or raw meat is supposed to cooked. This takes some effort if you plan to use restaurant scraps :-(.
Both pigs should be killed at the same time, but you are absolutely forbidden to sell or trade home killed meat.
I lease a lot of lifestyle block, and work out the price that I will pay for grazing as half of what I would get for the meat. So at the moment a beef cow with a calf would bring in about $1000 per year for the calf, so the land-owner gets $500 and pays for fertiliser and spraying, and I pay for animal costs, drenching, deaths not caused by the land owner, and repair fencing. So this works out to about $1.40 plus GST per day for a yearling beef (NB at the moment. Prices have been as low as $200 for a weaner beef calf). .
Because your friend is not permitted to sell you home kill, you must have a record somewhere that you are half owner of the cattle. If the cattle are never coming to your place you do not have to register with NAIT but you do have to acknowledge that your friend is PICA (person in charge of animals) of your part animal.
When the animal is killed you ask the home kill butcher to provide the meat in halves. You pay your share of the butchery, and pay your friend for purchase and grazing of the animal.

More
5 years 4 months ago #543109 by joshbell
Hi
Thanks for that advice, sounds like just chickens are the way to go on our section, I think we'll forget about the pigs.
As far as the cows go we are looking to use them for meat, buying a weaner and fattening it up.
It does sound like a bit of a process to go through, will make sure we do it by the book when the time comes.
Our friend has only just bought their block so aren't running any stock at the moment.

thanks

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds