Footrot Aerosol

More
5 years 7 months ago #542336 by AmandaB
Footrot Aerosol was created by AmandaB
Hi all,

I have been reading some of the posts on this forum for quite a while, with interest, and now have signed up as a member :-) Yay!!

We have a ewe who had triplets earlier in the week and has had a tough time coming through, as she really only wanted one of them. Unfortunately soon after having them she come down lame with hoof rot, so I cleaned, trimmed and treated with footrot dichlorophen based aerosol spray on two occasions.It's such a toxic smelling spray that I really hate using, I couldn't use it on my goats because they would lick it off afterward and get really bad diareohha!! And unfortunately so has our ewe, not only does she have diareohha but is now not eating, still has sore feet and trying to feed two lambs (we are bottle feeding one). I haven't seen her licking her feet but has anyone had similar concerns with this spray.
Appreciate all comments or suggetions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #542344 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Footrot Aerosol
I have used it on does with no ill effects. I also use koppertox, I find alternating with these hoof preparations is more effective.
It is possible the diarrhea is the result of the infection rather than the cure.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542348 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Footrot Aerosol
With the stress of having triplets and feeding twins her immune system will be very compromised. At this time of the year, gastrointestinal worms are very possible. Drenching her would be my first course of action, especially if the other sheep are firm. Also I would urgently give her an injection of antibiotics. This should also give the scald a fright.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542353 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Footrot Aerosol
I use purple spray aerosol on the worst of my sheep & it works really well for him. There are two purple sprays, ones aerotet & i cant remember the other one but if you ask a farm vet for 'purple spray' they usually know what you mean. Its a great go to for any animal wounds & it makes my pet wethers foot harder & reduces the limp overnight. It dosnt have that strong smell of the foot rot spray & it does have an antibiotic in it

More
5 years 7 months ago #542365 by AmandaB
Replied by AmandaB on topic Footrot Aerosol
Hi there, thanks for your advice, I did give her a shot on penicillin on Friday, but yes probably should drench her. The vet also recommended Starter Plus vitamin supplement, which I have been giving her, and now I think it is that which has gone right through her. I gave her about 50 - 60ml yesterday about lunchtime and by 3pm she had a big puddle of smelly poop, yuck!! Gosh it's so hard to pinpoint the root of the problem someime. Before I give her any more I will talk to the vet. So I'm guessing that she didn't lick the footrot spray off, it must only be goats that do that :-)

More
5 years 7 months ago #542366 by AmandaB
I did give her a shot of penicillin on Friday to cover any infections if there were any, and she seems to be a bit brighter. But I might grab some koppertox too and try alternating like you suggest,I hate seeing them hobbling around on sore feet, especially when they are already under the strain of lambing. I'm thinking now it was the Starter Plus vitamin and mineral supplement that has upset her tummy. Gave her some yesterday and it went right through her in a couple of hours :-(

More
5 years 7 months ago #542367 by AmandaB
Yup that strong smell of the footrot spray is disgusting, I think he vet nurse mentioned the spray you suggest because she pointed to something and said it was really good as it had an antibiotic in in, but also said the vet would need to prescribe it. I think I will get a few products on board and try really hard to blitz this nasty problem! I think now it waas the Starter Plus mineral supplement that gave her the trotts because within a couple of hours of giving it to her she had a stinky puddle of poop :-(

More
5 years 7 months ago #542397 by Fiona.EMT
Replied by Fiona.EMT on topic Footrot Aerosol
I find the purple spray (Tetravet in trigger bottle) the best for footrot if your vet will prescribe it.
I also had an old sheep farmer suggest Bluestone (copper sulphate) and it's great too, cheaper & less messy on my skin. Farmlands do a really fine powder that's easy to dilute and/or sprinkle.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542409 by AmandaB
Thanks for that I will go to both the vet and Farmlands and make some enquiries :-) Meanwhile the ewe is feeling much better, eating and drinking well (no diareohha) and trying to feed all her lambs, with a bit of help from me. She's such a lovely girl that she's very hapy for me to offer a bottle to any of her lambs that are still a little hungry. I will leave her feet alone for a week or so, so she can just concentrate on being a Mum :-) But there are others who could do with some foot atttention, unfortunately.

More
5 years 7 months ago #542411 by VioletFarmer
Replied by VioletFarmer on topic Footrot Aerosol
Im still 'topping up' the smallest of our 2nd lot of triplets, they are 5 weeks old now. The smallest has nearly caught up to her brothers in size, due to my bottle feeding supplementation. Am glad ive kept it up as they will all be ready for weaning before xmas, and not runty little rag tags still on mum when we get dry in January. Good luck with your & hope you can get the feet issues sorted too :)

More
5 years 7 months ago #542580 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Footrot Aerosol
Hasn't copper sulphate been outlawed? It causes extreme pain [and can to anyone administering it too...I still have a scar where a mare bit me, when I applied it to some 'proud flesh' after she got stabbed by a macrocarpa hedge!].

More
5 years 7 months ago #542583 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Footrot Aerosol
I'd have applied to the copper to arrest the macrocarpa hedge!:whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds