Calf Scouring - any advice?

More
3 years 9 months ago #542293 by [email protected]
I've recently bought in 2 calves. 5 & 7 days old. One is doing wonderfully presently - doing all the right things. The other has scouring . I gave her a dose of Scourstop - she improved. But again today she presents with more scouring after being back on the Replacement Milk. My intention is that - I'll give her ScourStop again in the morning without Milk but am a little confused about the regime. There is contradicting advice about giving Scourstop without Milk and ScourStop (Electrolytes) with Milk due to calves need for the nutrition within the milk. All advice and experience welcome - thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #542296 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Calf Scouring - any advice?
I havnt used scourstop before but we usually do alternating feeds of electrolytes (in water) & next feed milk. How recently did you get them? I assume at the dairy farm they would have just been on whole milk or even colostrum but you have now changed them to milk powder. They usually get a little dirty with the adjustment. We just keep a close eye on them & make sure they are not getting dehydrated or showing signs of typical sickness (droopy ears, sunken eyes, cold mouth) but we keep feeding the milk powder if they are drinking it happily and are well. Sometimes we give a lighter feed if they are scouring. You havnt said if the calf is still keen to feed or if it is refusing... If its refusing I'd go electrolytes. We dont do more than two feeds electrolytes in a row
We usually take into account what type of scours it likely is- nutritional or illness.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by kate28.

More
3 years 9 months ago #542297 by [email protected]
Thanks Kate - the calfs still drinking and not showing any other signs of sickness that you suggested. She was on Colostrum prior to coming to our place. Now on Milk Replacement Powder 250g in 2 litres twice a day. They have fresh water and free rein in a grass paddock. I'm really keen to prevent any other deterioration in her health..

More
3 years 9 months ago #542298 by [email protected]
Got them both last Sunday.

More
3 years 9 months ago #542299 by kate28
As you can see the calf you are the best judge but I would say if the calf is moving round outside acting normal and well apart from a dirty bum then I would just stick with the milk. The timeline fits in with adjusting to milk powder & 2L twice a day is what we feed also so it sounds like you are doing everything right.

More
3 years 9 months ago #542311 by [email protected]
Thanks Kate - its nice to have a bit of validation - I'm a newbie. I'm keeping an eye on the poo it was practically white yesterday - has been grey previously. This morning is very runny but yellowish. The other calf has a soft gluteny poo. How does that compare to your experience Kate? Thanks again.

More
3 years 9 months ago #542314 by Stikkibeek
We keep a bottle of scourban on hand. You need to work with your vet to get this as it is prescriptive, however, build up a good relationship and you may get it without a consult. Scourban will clean up nutritional scours in 24 hours. other forms may be viral, such as rotovirus, and then your electrolytes are a good option

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
3 years 9 months ago #542315 by kate28
I dont really like to go by poo colour in young calves. We raise a lot of calves (its my day job) and see every colour from mustard yellow, whitish, brown, green, occasionally a tiny bit of blood and all sorts of consistency too - creamy, runny, sticky, jelly etc. We buy the calves in & different sellers have different types of meal in their sheds or may have additives in the milk. If you get concerned you can always take a poo sample in a container or bread bag and get the vet to test it & tell you if its a bug or just nutritional. That usually dosnt cost very much & can be peace of mind. You could also give a dose of penicillin as a precaution but its a bit controversial using antibiotics if you dont really know if there is actually a problem.

We have had some sickness in the calves this season with salmonella and a few cases of crypto. These calves are very clearly not well. They will go off the milk & be reluctant to drink, will appear unwell with droopy ears, some will be scouring & they are usually reluctant to move around much. Often they will go down on the ground & once that happens its not great. They then have puddles of diarhoea (can be water consistency) behind them & need picking up, tube feeding etc. Outcome hasnt been good for us.

More
3 years 9 months ago #542370 by [email protected]
Thank you for your information, tips and sharing your experience with scours. Much appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds