Araucanas

More
3 years 10 months ago #541800 by Kayjay61430
Araucanas was created by Kayjay61430
Hi, I’m new to this site but I see I’m not the only one that has trouble sexing lavender araucanas. I have 11 that I hatched in an incubator and they are 5 months old . I’ve tried to sex them as the roosters have red combs and red around their eyes ( no one crowing yet) more recently I have one hen that is growing beautiful plumage and saddle feathers but no red comb??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #541809 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Araucanas
Please can you post a picture of them with their heads! Even one of the group together would help too! If any of the saddle feathers are long and very pointy and have shiny edges it will be a rooster. Bit hard to see from those photos unless you could hold 'him' a bit closer and put something dark behind an actual saddle feather!

Yes, the Araucan breeders tell us they are hard to sex-but once those pointy, shiny saddle feathers show, he's a boy! Sounds like what you think are roosters are hens, and the one with pointy feathers is a rooster!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #541818 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Araucanas

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Though head shots would be helpful, I think those pictures show a rooster. Some roosters do take longer than others to go red around the face and comb.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by tonic.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds