New Member & new to rural living

More
4 years 1 week ago #540671 by LSB57
Hi everyone
My hubby and I have recently moved to Waipapa where we have a 2 hectare life style block - not huge but big enough for us to manage. Would appreciate any tips about rural living from anyone in our area.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #540698 by tonybaker
That's a great start, with 2 hectares you can be fully self sufficient! Don't think that you can "make a living" off the land. Don't get involved with GST or IRD. Just keep it very simple for a few years until you get the feel for it.
If you have reasonable fences, run a couple of sheep, or lease grazing to a nearby real farmer for meat in return. Main thing is to grow your own veges and plant as many fruit trees as you can. Take it easy and get a tractor, you will need it! Good luck, all you need to know is on here somewhere....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mudlerk

More
3 years 11 months ago #540944 by LSB57
Thanks for your advice Tony.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #540997 by max2
Something that surprised me (which it really shouldn't have) when planting my vege patch and orchard was how much my chickens and wild rabbits would destroy the vege, birds pecking my onion tops to bits and wild turkeys eating the fruit in particular apples off my trees. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Be prepared to fence it off.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by max2.

More
3 years 11 months ago #540999 by Wren
Hi and congratulations on your new property! Is your new place quite well established, or is it relatively bare so that you need to put in fences etc? I think it can be quite different moving somewhere with the two situations. Either way, enjoy planning what do do with your land!

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
3 years 11 months ago #541000 by LongRidge
Our vege garden had to be fence with buried bird netting to stop the rabbits, which has also stopped the wrekas except around the gates. Fortunately we don't have many possums so the Timms trap deals with them, but in darkest Belmont, Lower Hutt we caught 18 in the 3 years we were there. Now our biggest orchard pests are the keruru which come to graze on the fruit tree flowers in early spring.

More
3 years 11 months ago #541005 by max2
I'm not in Waipapa but I read that its quite a small area and this may be slightly OTT from what you are thinking of right now.

However If I had my time again in our small area, I probably wouldn't do social media on our community forum.

There have been some terrible comments aimed at individuals in our immediate area that I feel shouldn't be allowed but doesn't breach FB community standards. We even have an individual start her own community page called a ''truth'' group where she regularly slams this or that, with support from a handful of out of area morons, yet she is no angel herself, but again, it doesn't breach FB community standards.

it can be very depressing and I think for those who are home based, in a small area it can feel very overwhelming and be intimidating.

More
3 years 8 months ago #543007 by LSB57
Hi and thank you for your response.
Yes the property is well established but we want to make a few changes -

More
3 years 7 months ago #543560 by Belle Bosse
Hi LSB57,
I moved up to our property in 2015. It is an hour's drive from home to Kerikeri, so I've been regularly driving into Waipapa on my way to Kerikeri for shopping. I think Waipapa / Kerikeri is a great area. It has gotten much busier in the last 3 years.

You will find that Waipapa is a nice mix of rural bordering town and country and I'm sure you will love it there. It is close to lovely Kerikeri for all shopping needs, including dry cleaning with no harsh chemicals. Sunday Farmers Markets in the car park by the Post Office. Another market runs Saturdays on the way into Kerikeri (on Kerikeri road). There are also little farm shops and orchards that will sell direct to the consumer in and around Kerikeri. I love it.

There is a new Mitre 10 opposite the Warehouse in Waipapa, and you have so much close to hand... a plant nursery on the northern approach to Waipapa, orchards, Carters,
Though if you want to buy direct from the sawmill, on the southern side of Keri (on the right heading south) is the turn off to the big Mt Pokaka Timber Products for any sawn timber or fencing poles etc.

The Redwoods between Waipapa and Keri have a great plant nursery, a Vet, cattery, a good mercury free Dentist, a cafe, safety equipment shop, palm nursery... then at the roundabout... the airport to the right...

For tractors, little digger, mower, chainsaws or other equipment you need to use but cant afford to buy, the Kerikeri Hire place is quite helpful with the range of equipment it has.

For Horticultural/agricultural needs visit the dark blue building PG Wrightson, There is another rural supplies building (lime green in the 100km area) which used to be RD1. Beyond the dark blue building and on the left, there is Waipapa Landscaping Supplies place.
If you take the turn at the BP fuel station and go towards Kerikeri, there is another landscaping place further along the road I have not been there yet, but a neighbour tells me it is good.

If you take the next street past the one to the Warehouse, you will find Stihl, John Deere, Farmlands and opposite, a heap of small shops in that car park block, for lighting, electrical items, including a shop with all you need for kitchen goods like ovens, stoves, fridges, freezers etc. Car service/ WOF can be done at Pacific Motors Group (Mazda, Toyota etc), though there are a number of other places doing WOFs in the area.

If you don't have garbage pick up service in your area, there is a recycling depot at White Hill (almost half way to Kaeo) where all recycling can be dropped off for free and the black sack garbage bags cost $3 each to dispose of.
If you have a trailer load of rubbish/recycling try to avoid taking it to the recycling depot during the busy holiday times around Christmas /New Year, Easter. It gets quite crowded/ stressful with everyone else with the same idea..! I took a trailer load early this year, but will aim for the quiet time for the next load!

You can drop me a private message if you wish...

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds