Baleage 101

More
5 years 11 months ago #539996 by Kokamo
Baleage 101 was created by Kokamo
We've recently bought a 10 acre block in South Wairarapa, currently completely flat & empty. A few months ago it was mowed, we appeared to get about 20 circular bales on our lot. Coming into winter the grass is growing, & we have no water supply to support putting a few four legged mowers on it. So I'm wondering if its useful to anyone else, can we create bales at this time of year? I've been given the name of a baleage contractor, but would like to know some of the basics before I call him. On the assumption the grass is acceptable given it was baled previously, what time of year can grass be turned into baleage? And if we can get that done, how do we find people who want it, we've been living in the area for a while, but in town, we don't know farmers, how do we match supply with demand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #540005 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Baleage 101
You might get away with making balage now if your contractor uses plenty of innocculant and the weather stays warm. If you get some cold days there is the risk that the correct bacteria won't grow quickly enough to preserve the grass.
Your contractor will usually know of someone who will buy the balage, and at what price it is worth. Talk to him, but it will need to be done very soon before the ground gets too wet to bring big machinery onto.

More
5 years 11 months ago #540008 by Kokamo
Replied by Kokamo on topic Baleage 101
Thanks Longridge, I had no idea there was more to it than just cutting the grass & rolling it up. I will brave sounding like a total townie, which I am, & give him call.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds