New To Lifestyle

More
4 years 1 month ago #539909 by BlueApple
New To Lifestyle was created by BlueApple
Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to start posting on here after more than a year of stalking the forum :lol:

My partner and I are finally ready to buy a lifestyle block in Canterbury and we are currently actively looking for land. So if anyone could give us tips and pointers on where to look and what to watch out for and so on that would be amazing.

We're planning on settling in the Waimakariri district to be more precise.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #539915 by VioletFarmer
Replied by VioletFarmer on topic New To Lifestyle
Hi & welcome B.A, the further from Chch you look, the cheaper it will be. I saw some listings on Harcourts at Oxford, 4ha blocks bare land with water $220,000. And have seen recently that lsb's/ bare land is decently priced at Cust also. Things to look for are, culverts/ streams that may flow through your land, rivers that may flood nearby, tall/ old/ overhanging trees from a neighbours property. Checking council regs re: building stipulations if its a bare land block- never assume you are 'allowed' to put up a house just because its being advertised as such. (Friends of my parents in law learnt this the hard way, to the tune of an extra $60,000 dollars when they purchased a property 2 yrs ago in Sth Cant). Check what caveats are in place on the land/ if any... sellers can impose restrictions on heights of buildings, placement of buildings etc. What amount of land are you looking for & what exciting plans do you have for it? :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #539919 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic New To Lifestyle
Now is a great time of year to look as you get to see land in the winter which is normally when it is at its worst - not many properties look great with the wind howling and the rain coming in so at least you know what you are in for!
The one thing that we weren't prepared for when we bought our block was the fact that we are on a gravel road and our house and vehicles are constantly covered in dust! Sounds silly I know but we honestly never gave it a thought and it is a pain!
Also look for things like access - is it shared (this can lead to future headaches) and the same with water - is the water from roof, bore or via an easement (again this can mean relationships with neighbours can become a problem)
Have fun most of all!

Confirmed horse addict.

More
4 years 1 month ago #539925 by BlueApple
Replied by BlueApple on topic New To Lifestyle
Thank you for the info! Yes we've noticed also that the further we get from Chch the cheaper the land. We don't mind commuting for 40 to 45 minutes so that's fine for us. We're planning on planting a food forest ( lots of trees and plants that are edible) as well as having space for animals maybe a few horses and chickens. In the first few months we would bring in a transportable home , something very small to live in while we get ready to build our final house. So the land would need to have friendly covenants to a cabin, or something of the sort.

More
4 years 1 month ago #539926 by BlueApple
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, yes now is definitely a good time to look. Also , we've been told that the land is either water logged and very muddy in winter but retains water in summer and therefore good grass. Or it's dry in winter and drains well but becomes very very dry in summer and makes it hard to grow things. So , ideally we would look for something that has a bit of both. I didn't even thing about the gravel road ever being a problem but now that you mention it, it makes sense! Also , we always assume the neighboors will be fine until they become a pain in the neck!There are so many things to check for but in the end it does seem to be easier to buy land and build than buy a house , especially with the earthquake damages/ asbestos/ insulation issues and so on.

I see you're a horse addict, do you have any suggesions on what type of land to buy and in what area? Horses have been my great obsession since I was a child and I'm definitely getting a few once I can, but in terms of grass and soil type I'm guessing not too much mud in winter is a must to ward off thrush/mud fever and so on. But then again, we still need grass in summer.

More
4 years 1 month ago #539932 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic New To Lifestyle
If you want a food forest, consider what the topsoil depth is. In some areas in the Waimakariri, the soil depth is 5mm, so really nothing. I don't know many fruit trees that would delight in that.

More
4 years 1 month ago #539938 by BlueApple
Hello Hawkspur, thanks for your input. Can you recommend any areas in Canterbury where the soil would be better?

We're open to any area up to 1 hour around Christchurch.

Thanks!

More
4 years 1 month ago #539950 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic New To Lifestyle
That doesn't apply to all the Waimakariri area by any means. Have a look here . The plains soils can vary a lot in short distances, so check the sites you are interested in by taking a spade.

More
4 years 1 month ago #539952 by Ramsay
Replied by Ramsay on topic New To Lifestyle
Hi
Is that LRIS open to everyone?
How do you register?
Thanks
Richard

More
4 years 1 month ago #539953 by Ramsay
Replied by Ramsay on topic New To Lifestyle
Hi
All good.
Turns out I was already registered at LRIS because of my LINZ usage.
Thanks
Richard

More
4 years 1 month ago #539974 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic New To Lifestyle
I live in the Waikato so not a lot of help in terms of knowledge of Christchurch!
When we bought our block (with house) we took what we could afford and I make it work for my horses! It is very wet in winter and when we bought it my horses only stayed behind the fences because they knew it was the right thing to do not because the fence was of any quality :) I have since improved the fencing a lot and built 2 yards that I stand the horses off in for 12 hours a day in winter with hay and hard feed. I would love to add an arena but I can't see my husband going for that any time soon!
Horses are good at making mud as they do tend to like to stand/sleep in one spot a fair bit and they are heavy animals on small (compared to their mass) hooves so a drier property is always going to be better.
You can always supplement feed but that is expensive - if you just want horses for companions rather than competition then their calorie intake (as a general rule) will be less so not such an issue.
Horses will also do less well / more damage on a steeper property than a flat one.
With any purchase you are going to have to compromise so make a list and work out what is a non-negotiable and what is a nice to have and work from that.
One thing I notice looking at real estate in the Waikato anyway is that you tend to get more for your money with an existing build in terms of the home and sheds etc. compared to a bare block and then building. Just an observation - might be different in your locale but here the cost of building is quite high and our problem when we looked at the bare block and build option was "where the heck do we put everything whilst we build!"

Confirmed horse addict.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds