Hi all

More
4 years 5 months ago #537441 by tenacres
Hi all was created by tenacres
My husband and I moved from Perth to our lifestyle block in Taranaki in April 2017. He's a local, I'm an Aussie. We have ten acres (in case you couldn't guess) with about 20 cows, one bull, 5 weaners, 3 chooks, 2 rams, and one cat. Oh and two toddlers who rule all.

Ever since we moved, anytime I googled anything to do with the animals or the land, inevitably the top search result would lead me here to LSB. Finally I decided to sign up and join the discussion :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #537442 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Hi all
Welcome :)
Perth to Taranaki! That is some climate change :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 5 months ago #537447 by tenacres
Replied by tenacres on topic Hi all
Thanks! Yes it's been a big change especially after the wet winter we've had. I'm loving it though as I was so.done. with the heat.

More
4 years 5 months ago #537448 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Hi all

tenacres wrote: I'm loving it though as I was so.done. with the heat.

Ha ha - i'm definitely in that camp! My partner and I went on holiday to the tropics last year and quickly realised that we are most definitely temperate people!

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
4 years 5 months ago #537450 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi all
Welcome. :)

That seems like a lot of stock for your area. Did you carry them all through the winter?

More
4 years 5 months ago #537452 by tenacres
Hi Ruth :)

No - I should have said, 15 of them are actually my FIL's who lives down the road. Our paddocks are overgrown since we're only just starting out, and he needs the feed so it worked out well for everyone to send them down here for a couple of months

More
4 years 5 months ago #537453 by tenacres
Haha Wren, I still can't get over how hospitable NZ is. It never (well, rarely) gets over 30 degrees?? No spiders? No snakes?? I wonder when I'll stop instinctively stomping through long grass, or gardening with gloves on...

More
4 years 5 months ago #537454 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Hi all
There isn't much out to get you here in terms of native animals. The katipo is a relative of the redback, but it is shy, not aggressive and is endangered, hanging out only on some sand dunes.
Having said that, don't fall into a patch of ongaonga wearing just a T shirt and shorts.

More
4 years 5 months ago #537457 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hi all
Don't leave the gloves off. We do have a few nasty Aussies over here like the white tail spider. Also our native centipede can pack a very painful bite, but they tend to live in bush areas, so Ruth may be more likely to see them than the rest of us. Have you met our weta yet? They look scary, but don't usually bother us and while not poisonous they can carry infective material depending on what they have been eating. (They used to love my Golden Queen peaches)
You are most unlikely to find snakes here, or Under arm bowlers! :evil: :lol:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 5 months ago #537458 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Hi all
After 10 years in Brisbane the things I most appreciate in NZ are the temperate climate and the lack of snakes! The photos were taken in my back garden, though luckily it was only a carpet snake (python) I only saw it because the cat was staring at it!

Stikkibeek wrote: ..............................
You are most unlikely to find snakes here, or Under arm bowlers! :evil: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #537460 by tenacres
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Advice duly noted re creepy-crawlies. The gardening gloves will stay on. The sandflies have been driving me mad - and the regular flies too. Why no fly screens, NZ??

So far I have only encountered a dead weta and I'm in no hurry to meet a live one. Terrifying beast!

Speaking of terrifying beasts, Anakei that python would have given me a heart attack. I'm from South Australia originally so we had the red-bellied blacks and eastern browns to contend with. Maybe wetas aren't so bad after all now I think about it.

Oh and thanks Stikkibeek - that'll be the first of I'm sure many Aussie digs at my expense!!

More
4 years 5 months ago #537462 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hi all

tenacres wrote:
Oh and thanks Stikkibeek - that'll be the first of I'm sure many Aussie digs at my expense!!

Oh no! Please don't misunderstand me. I'm pretty sure that Aussies who come to live here have "seen the light" B)

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 5 months ago #537467 by tenacres
Don't worry - no offence taken. I can't figure out how to use emojis to convey my tone

More
4 years 5 months ago #537500 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Hi all
Tenacres, on your 'how long for snakes' -- it took me about ten years to learn to step into rock heaps or downed timber. However, we don't seem to have quite the variety in Ohio that you do in Aussie, so maybe you're more fully conditioned?

More
4 years 5 months ago #537796 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Hi all
Hi tenacres,

Lucky you! Moving from one lovely spot in the Far West Island of New Zealand to an even more lovely place in the Far Eastern Island of Australia... I'm not biased LOL.

Welcome to the forum... from another Aussie married to a Kiwi... and settled in the Far North. Love Perth and Taranaki... both are special places.

I hope you get to explore the walks of Mt Egmont. It is wonderful all year round, but particularly pretty in winter. We were there 08 and 09 and eventually climbed Mt Egmont February of 09. Didn't see much from the top as the cloud followed us up the mountain. I miss it dominating the sky line. The gardens around Taranaki are fabulous to go and see as well.

Coming in from Sydney where one was always watching for the deadly Funnel Web Spider, I thought I'd found one here when a huge black spider ran across the driveway as I moved the car. It's abdomen had split and was leaking white fluid so it was easy to stick it in a jar. I had to identify it.
So far, the Funnel Web Spider has NOT been found in NZ. But the spider had similar heavy curved fangs and dark body, different spinnerets, different thorax shape... it turns out to be; a get this... a Tunnel Web Spider... native to NZ and lives in forests... and we've set up home in our patch of pine forest..!! It can give a hefty bite but is not dangerous to humans. I'm so relieved knowing what it is!! Now it's oh, yeah... another TT Tunnel Web, how neat!

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds