New to Lifestyle Farming

More
4 years 7 months ago #536752 by Fiona B
Hello,

My husband and I have just leased 13ha in Upper Moutere, Tasman. I am a city girl so fairly new to everything.
Looking to run sheep on the place, currently a lot of standing hay in all the paddocks, we are getting the flat paddocks cut and need to get ewes to graze out the hilly paddocks.

This site looks fantastic!

13 hectares, Upper Moutere

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #536760 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New to Lifestyle Farming
Welcome Fiona from a fairly local, inland from Brightwater. Are you getting some guidance about running sheep on your leased block? Personally, I would run beef cattle rather than sheep if I had a permanent water supply and access to cattle yards. I need a dog to muster my fairly tame sheep and goats off the neighbours hillsides. With the cattle I can usually get them to come by feeding out some hay or balage. Cattle do much better on rank grass than sheep do, and many sheep will not eat hay until they have been taught. My ones have either died of starvation (mainly Pregnancy Toxaemia), or have learnt from the goats that hay can be much better than nothing.

More
4 years 7 months ago #536765 by Fiona B
Replied by Fiona B on topic New to Lifestyle Farming
Hi,

Thanks for response! We have a good water supply but no cattle yards or tractor, should they tip, so cattle are not in the plan yet - hopefully in the future we will run some. Yes will be interesting to see how the ewes do in the long grass on the hill paddocks, and how we move them with no dog! I am getting advice from a farmer I know in Tadmore and he has just suggested I call Bruce Stonach regarding purchase of sheep (next weeks job). All advice is welcome!

More
4 years 7 months ago #536766 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic New to Lifestyle Farming
Welcome to LSB. :)

Fiona B wrote: ... but no cattle yards or tractor, should they tip, so cattle are not in the plan yet...

I wonder if you could please expand on what happens if cattle "tip"?

More
4 years 7 months ago #536771 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New to Lifestyle Farming
another option is to ask neighbours if they want to graze their cattle/sheep and share the proceeds. I did this for a couple of years until I got more comfortable with fences and stock.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 7 months ago #536772 by Fiona B
I mean fall over for some reason and cannot get up - you need a tractor to get them back up, with a sheep you could do yourself :)

More
4 years 7 months ago #536773 by Fiona B
Yes a potential move for sure, thankyou

More
4 years 7 months ago #536775 by Ruth

Fiona B wrote: I mean fall over for some reason and cannot get up - you need a tractor to get them back up, with a sheep you could do yourself :)

I recall we've had to do that once in 20 years. It's not a common occurrence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fiona B

More
4 years 7 months ago #536776 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New to Lifestyle Farming

Ruth wrote:

Fiona B wrote: I mean fall over for some reason and cannot get up - you need a tractor to get them back up, with a sheep you could do yourself :)

I recall we've had to do that once in 20 years. It's not a common occurrence.

Your sheep though Ruth, tipped over all the time on flat ground! :silly:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 7 months ago #536778 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New to Lifestyle Farming
usually it's the human that falls over and can't get up!!:ohmy:

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #536779 by Ruth

Stikkibeek wrote: Your sheep though Ruth, tipped over all the time on flat ground! :silly:

And we'll probably resolve that with a tractor and FEL! And some roasts.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Ruth.

More
4 years 7 months ago #536780 by LongRidge
Fiona, like Ruth we have only had to lift cattle a few times. Usually they are dead when they have been found, so require a vehicle to tow it out. If they require lifting then quite a big tractor is needed, and there are plenty of quite big tractors with FELs owned by local farmers and contractors, including the guy that is going to bale your hay :-).
But .... remember that whatever stock that you buy, that they are used to conditions that are more tough than your property. Don't put animals that are older than a couple of years onto your hills if they have been raised on flat land, because it takes quite some time for the right muscles to develop to carry them.

More
4 years 6 months ago #536830 by Fiona B
Thanks for the information, I will keep in mind when I buy, looks like next week

Just ordered posts and rails for some stockyards - that will keep me busy till Christmas!

More
4 years 6 months ago #536835 by LongRidge
Remember to make them big enough. You need a wide fenced race to get them into, that gradually constricts to the size of the holding yards. I use the driveway to get cattle into the cattle yards, but the sheep yards does not have this so I need either Judas sheep or a dog, both of which I have got.
Remember not to put cattle into the sheep yards. You might get away with it a couple of times, but fairly early on the timber will get smashed and the fences jumped. Cattle yards need timber at least 200 x 50 mm.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds