Hi From The Sunshine Coast QLD

More
4 years 10 months ago #534470 by Bamboo
Hi All
Have just moved to a place called Palmwoods on the Sunshine Coast QLD, yes I know not exactly local for this forum but I have been following for a while now. Really love the site and Kate you do a great job on it.
Grew up on dairy farms in the Waikato and prior to moving to Oz lived in Mangatangi which is top of the Hauraki Plains. Been here for just over 20 years and have been living in Sydney, fortunately in bush surrounds as I would have gone stir crazy if I had to live in the burbs.
Now we have 10 acres of paradise with maybe 15 years of work, just kidding but the place hasn't had anything done to it in 10 years so fairly overgrown with lots of maintenance to be done. Sought of bought the worst house in the best street as surrounding properties go for ridiculous amounts of money, I think most people looked at it and said too hard, we looked at it and said what an opportunity. About an acre of shade houses full to the brim with Rhapis palms, dracenas, heliconias, strelitzias plus heaps of others. Whoever set the place up initially spent a lot of money on infrastructure, water from bore,and a lot of money on some really exotic plants sadly as I said it has been neglected over the last 10 years. One of the attractions for me was the 25 different species of bamboo (hence the moniker) some are over 20m tall and are just magnificent all are clumping. I think that may have been one of the factors that put people off (bamboo, that stuff takes over) not knowing the difference between running and clumping.
No plans for any livestock apart from some chooks. We have 3 acres of rain forest plus the acre of shade houses a custard apple orchard, a stand of furniture timber plus lots of lots of tropical fruit trees mango, jaboticaba, jack fruit, avocados and the soil here is a rich red loam just amazing to dig. Plan on selling some of the plants as advanced plants and then harvesting foliage and flowers for the florist industry. Lots of other plans as well, like I said 15years worth anyway enough to keep me busy for a long time to come.
I really feel for you guys with the weather you have and continue to have as we are basking in the mid 20's and it is definitely shorts and t shirt only, we actually need some rain as we have been planting vege garden.
Anyway best of luck to everyone calving and lambing, hope the weather improves.
Cheers
Mark
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #534473 by Stikkibeek
I'm jealous. we gave up lovely black volcanic free draining loam for our piece of paradise with wet slippery, waterlogged clay.
Sounds as if your place will be very productive.
Welcome to the LSB

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 8 months ago #535920 by Belle Bosse
Oh, stop it!! You re making this little Aussie homesick and hungry for all that beautiful tropical fruit... especially the Custard apples..! Have an extra one for me when they are in season.

I have friends in Palmwoods but have not been there as I was usually driving on further, past the turn off. If it is anything like the nearby Maleny area, you are in a very lovely spot. Lucky you!

The Sunshine Coast used to be one of my favourite places. Always wondered why I was stuck in Brisbane when such lovely places were not so far away. Spent a bit of time/ holidays in Nambour, Mooloolabah, Tewantin, Cooroy, coloured sands beach, Noosa. Tried leaving Brisbane for a friend's 40 acre farm in Kinkin and loved it there but work took me down to the big smoke of Sydney's North Shore for 20 years. Centred around Wahroonga and lived out as far as Mt Colah and Castle Hill...
But now I'm in the beautiful Far North of NZ.. on 41.5 acres with grazing, native bushland, at night listening to Kiwi male and female birds calling in pine trees. We have put 2 acres of grazing into an orchard with apples, peaches, pears, plums, persimmons, citrus (oranges, mandarins, lemons, limes, grapefruit) olives, feijoas, bananas. Avocado aren’t doing too good between wet feet and cool temperatures.

All the best with your 15 years hard labour ahead of you... just kidding. I'm sure you will knock it back into shape before then!

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds