Where can I buy an old style Thistle Grubber

More
4 years 11 months ago #533878 by Blocker
Hi
I recently borrowed a traditional Grubber from a farmer. It was great to work with. Where can I buy one? I don't want the lightweight Bunnings Atlas type

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #533881 by Stikkibeek
Modern grubbers tend to be light. try a second hand shop that has a good tool stand, or, is in or near a farming area.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
4 years 11 months ago #533882 by Blocker
Thanks Stikkibeek

More
4 years 11 months ago #533888 by Hawkspur
...or look out for a deceased estate garage sale or auction, or wait for some old rellies to die or at least move into a resthome where they won't need gardening tools...;)

More
4 years 11 months ago #533924 by Muz1
or get an engineer to make a grubber from an old disc blade. They are heavy enough to get a good strike and stay sharp for ages. I used one years ago thinning mangolds-shows my age!-and it was marvelous.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
4 years 11 months ago #534013 by Blocker
I'll keep an eye out for one Thanks Muz 1

More
4 years 11 months ago #534030 by Wren

Hawkspur wrote: ...or look out for a deceased estate garage sale or auction,

This is how my other half buys most of his tools - he goes to pick up a giant bucket of nails he found on trademe, and comes home with the car full of stuff!! I have pointed out that one day I am going to be that widow selling the same bucket of nails and all the rest, but who am I to judge? ;)

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
4 years 11 months ago #534031 by Hawkspur

Wren wrote:

Hawkspur wrote: ...or look out for a deceased estate garage sale or auction,

This is how my other half buys most of his tools - he goes to pick up a giant bucket of nails he found on trademe, and comes home with the car full of stuff!! I have pointed out that one day I am going to be that widow selling the same bucket of nails and all the rest, but who am I to judge? ;)

But in the interim at least two nails will have been used out of that bucket, and five added, and at least once, the bucket will have tipped over, making for some interesting cursing and a little diversion.:silly:

More
4 years 11 months ago #534033 by Blocker
Thanks Wren. I read your comments to my wife who thinks that nails travel through many men's lives and get couriered on by their widows.

More
4 years 11 months ago #534034 by Stikkibeek
We are still "enjoying" :whistle: the bucket of nails bought by an uncle and inherited by me at least 20 years ago. Dam things were cheap or he wouldn't have bought them, but they have poorly formed heads and have a tendency to turn into fish hooks when you hit them with the hammer, ...seconds before the hammer connects with hands, or fingers, or kneecaps.....:ohmy:

More
4 years 11 months ago #534037 by Blocker
The same man who came home with bent nails usually picks up hard old wood from the same source to nail together. This compounds the problem. May even be using a worn hammerhead "which was a real bargain".

More
4 years 11 months ago #534039 by Stikkibeek
:whistle: You met my uncle then!?

More
4 years 11 months ago #534041 by Blocker
Lucky me. My farmer friend who loaned me the first Grubber head found another old one for me.

More
4 years 11 months ago #534042 by Wren
Ha ha - love that we're not the only ones with such a bucket of nails! :lol: :lol: I will admit, at least 2 of them have definitely been used :silly:

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
4 years 11 months ago #534072 by Mudlerk
Not to mention containers of odd screws, nuts, bolts, and things that you don't even know how to name!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds