HI there

More
4 years 11 months ago #533780 by jchilford
HI there was created by jchilford
HI from Taranaki.

We bought a wee acre and have been in for a few months. New to the region and the lsb life.
Old villa, plonked square in the middle of the section with decorative (ugh) gardens taking up a 3rd of the property.

We've got chooks, they've already given us a lot to learn. We're in the process of fencing and adapting the land to suit us so we can get lambs and a pig or two.

We want to plant fruit and nut trees this year and I'm currently studying horticulture :)

So much to learn, do and grow but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #533792 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HI there
Hi and welcome to LSB. You will find most of what you need to know on here. Even a small block can be very rewarding. You will soon be able to buy lambs so check your fences. Remember 7 wire fences, unless very well maintained don't keep lambs in. I run a pig in an enclosure made of 4 farm gates and move it from time to time as they churn up the grass even if ringed. Chickens are super easy if you have an automatic feeder. Go for the shedding type of sheep breed as it is hard to get shearers these days.
Good luck.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 11 months ago #533800 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic HI there
Welcome.
Our Miss Piggy loved lambs .... and ate them for breakfast. She would have eaten the chooks too if we had any, but we have dogs that ate chooks, so Miss Piggy tried to eat the dogs :-(. She had to go after she tried to eat Spot, the Wonder Dog (I wonder why he did that?), who could handle sheep, goats, cattle and donkeys .... but not Miss Piggy. From a 60 kg pig we got 23 kg of meat and 25 kg of fat, and she cost us about $200 in food :-(. Pigs are beyond my ability to find food for them, and they get too friendly ....
We have 3 pet lambs left from 2015, none of which will ever breed (2 wethers and ewe that had Facial Eczema so she will have a stuffed liver so getting pregnant would kill her, and sheep that have had FE taste awful), and none will be killed because they are pets. We have 4 pet lambs from 2016, 3 are wethers and the ewe is a very small triplet so will probably be infertile.
So .... ensure that the persons who have to do the killing, the cooking, and the eating do not get emotionally attached to the animals :-(

More
4 years 11 months ago #533807 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic HI there
Good story, Longridge and true what you say about not getting too attached. It's always good to have a neighbour who is handy with a gun, but not if you live in the U.S.A !!
We have a wild cat that lives with our pig, even sleeping on her back. The cat keeps the rabbits down but means I have to cull the kittens from time to time. Makes you realise how wild cats multiply so rapidly.
A pig is ok as long as you focus on getting it up to killing weight. They are great for eating all the kitchen scraps. A couple of wethers are good too and will provide plenty of meat for a family. Whatever you do Jchilford, don't become a zoo and get alpacas, goats or anything that you can't eat!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 11 months ago #533812 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic HI there
Hi and welcome to LSB forum.
Taranaki is such a wonderful spot to live. Spent 22 lovely months near New Plymouth and sure miss that mountain!

If you are new to the area, make sure you go see the open gardens... around October/ November if you care to keep watch for the booklet and flyers. I had a garden wedding in late November, several weeks after the open garden and the roses were at their best in late November and there was still snow on the mountain. There are some spectacular gardens down there.

Plant yourself some cherry trees! I have a token "hopeful" low chill cherry called "Compact Stella" but the Far North is not cold enough for it to fruit... sadly. Just make sure your fruit and nut trees are securely fenced from any animals until they are established. Chickens do well free ranging in orchards a help keep the bugs down.

There are lots of lovely walks around Mt Egmont /Taranaki. February is a good time to climb the mountain, but be careful as a lot of climbers have been lost on the mountain. The weather can change quickly and the mountain generates its own weather. There is a permanent snow field at the top in the crater.

Enjoy your new life.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds