Hello from Whangarei

More
5 years 2 days ago #533715 by backtonz
Hi everyone, greetings from Whangarei. We have just moved here from Auckland, now living on a lifestyle block, would be great to meet lifestyle farmers here. We are looking at getting some sheep, possibly cows, does anyone sell them here? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 days ago #533716 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hello from Whangarei
Hi and welcome to the forum. What's your previous experience with livestock and how big is your block?

More
5 years 2 days ago #533717 by backtonz
Replied by backtonz on topic Hello from Whangarei
Thanks Ruth, I have no previous experience with livestock, but my husband does, the block is approximately 3 hectares.

More
5 years 2 days ago #533719 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Hello from Whangarei
Welcome to LSB. :) . You'll certainly find a wealth of help and advice on this forum.

What are your ambitions for your block - particularly with your stock? Are you planning to grow them for meat for your freezer, or to make a little extra pocket money? Or maybe a bit of both!

Of course, if you're planning to buy in some cattle, the first thing you'll need to do is register with NAIT .

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 2 days ago #533720 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hello from Whangarei

backtonz wrote: Thanks Ruth, I have no previous experience with livestock, but my husband does, the block is approximately 3 hectares.

You'll be pushing it to have cows and sheep without overdoing things pasture-wise. A nice cattle mob size is four or five, maybe. Perhaps you'd only want three and a small handful of sheep. What's the land like - steep, which way does it face, how well has the pasture and soil been maintained?

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #533722 by Ferg-HB
Replied by Ferg-HB on topic Hello from Whangarei
Hello and welcome.

We did a similar thing late last year - sold out of Auckland and bought in Hawkes Bay. I recommend you do some research before jumping right in to owning stock - we were in a similar position having had no experience and then finding ourselves with a bit of land.

Cows have some advantages over sheep, and sheep have some advantages over cows. Depends on your answers to other questions above. Also, are you looking for meat or pets?
Last edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Ferg-HB.

More
5 years 2 days ago #533724 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hello from Whangarei
Hi and welcome to the best part of NZ B) B)

We're just north of Whangarei at Helena Bay, and have some very overweight cattle and lots of angora goats. We're very happy to talk with you about your plans. Send me an email or a private message :)

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
4 years 11 months ago #533940 by stevelono
Replied by stevelono on topic Hello from Whangarei
Welcome to the sunny north. We are also new to the lifestyle block game. We have a 10 acre block just South of Whangarei and are patiently waiting to move into our new house that is under construction. We have cows at the moment. 3 yearlings and 4 wieners. What part of Whangarei is your land?

More
4 years 11 months ago #533956 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hello from Whangarei
Ah! I wondered where weiner schnitzel came from!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 years 11 months ago #533958 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Hello from Whangarei

tonybaker wrote: Ah! I wondered where weiner schnitzel came from!

By definition they'd be from Vienna...

And welcome to LSB. I hope you don't mind a few stray and witty ;-) comments. :D They seem to come with the territory.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds