Hi all :)

More
5 years 2 months ago #532235 by 3wild1s
Hi all :) was created by 3wild1s
Hi everyone

My wife, little fella, 2 x dogs & I have just brought a little over 11 acres in Weedons Christchurch. Its a bare block as it stands right now, so we have so many things to sort out from where to build a house to endless other things.

Any tips on things to think of when starting from scratch would be welcomed.

Cheers
Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #532237 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hi all :)
Once you have chosen your site, a good driveway is essential for vehicle access, especially bigger vehicles that might be bringing in building materials. Access to power, water, also important if you are getting a builder in. Then, there's the permits, crossing (if there is not one already) house plans. So much to do, so you should make a check list of priorities and tick them off as you get them underway. A paper plan is also a good thing to have in the layout of your property and the plans you want to put in place such as landscaping.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Stikkibeek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3wild1s

More
5 years 2 months ago #532248 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Hi all :)
Hi! Exciting times!
Talk to your new neighbours about a few things so you can learn from their experiences and mistakes.
Weather, such as how hard and when it frosts, and wind: direction, time of year, strength etc. In Weedons, you'll want shelter, and then everything else you plant will do better.
What plants do well and what doesn't? How many stock can they run on their land? Is yours similar to theirs? What is the soil like? Water?
Plan your shelter so you still get winter sun. Think about some summer shade too.
Avoid getting too close to powerlines and neighbours fences. Don't plant things that are toxic to stock anywhere near places they might get to, whether they are yours or your neighbours. If you have the space, planting hedging that doesn't need trimming saves time money and bother.
Neighbours can tell you about local facilities, schools, playgroups, good suppliers in the area etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3wild1s

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds