Water Tanks and filters

More
5 years 2 months ago #531613 by Chrissie34
Hi, I am new to this site. We have a property on the Coromandel Peninsula, about half an hour north of Coromandel town. We have just put a new water tank in and I'm not sure where the best place for the filters is.
As we have a lot of Manuka near the house we have built a collection roof on the top of the hill which feeds to the water tank, also up there. We have have two water filters to install and have been trying to decide whether to install them just below the tank or down nearer the house. As we rely on gravity feed for pressure I thought that it would be better up by the tank. Does anyone have any advice?
Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #531624 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Water Tanks and filters
Firstly, you want to ensure the water is as clean as possible before storing it, and then use a high quality filter near the end use, (house taps) so it will catch any contaminants introduced anywhere in the whole water supply system, and so it isn't wasted/clogged filtering unnecessarily eg; gardening water.

Do you have
- first-flush diverters, and leaf screens to reduce the debris and dust entering the tank?
- a floating pickup/inlet pipe in the tank so it collects water from the cleanest part of the tank, a little below the surface?
- a tank overflow that comes from the bottom of the tank and takes sediment out, (eg. Tank Vac) making the tank self-cleaning to a large degree?
- a calming inlet so water flowing into the tank doesn't stir up debris?
- insect rat and possum proof vents etc. so they can't enter the tank

More
5 years 2 months ago #531626 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Water Tanks and filters
I would fit the filters at the lowest point so that there is more pressure to push the water through the cartridge. Start with a 30 micron cartridge which will take out most solids, then use a 1 micron to get rid of bugs. They are easy to install but make sure you have a shut off valve on the inlet to make changing the cartridge easier. Trade Me has good ones.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 1 week ago #533567 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Water Tanks and filters
Anywhere outside so you don't have to worry about getting the ground wet. I've changed filters that were in walls, In garages, In the laundry, Under the kitchen sink.....

The other question is how much pressure do you have at the moment (Because filters cost a bar of pressure) and do you NEED a filter?

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds