Hello from a new join looking to build on a Wanaka lifestyle block

More
5 years 4 months ago #530802 by mrmacc
Hello everyone,

Firstly let me say a HUGE thank you to all the people who have given their time and expertise on this site helping us newbies! Since we decided to buy our section I have been living off this site and I have learnt so much!

I guess my biggest fear is getting the whole rural build wrong or missing something that could cost me later on down the track. The first thing I have learnt is the sheer cost of getting services from the gate (where I have water, phone and a green power box) to the house which want down the other end of the section away from everyone which is why I bought! Approx $100 per metre and I want the house approx 375 mtrs away!

I am investigating solar - completely off the grid for approx $30k does anyone have experience with this and pros and cons?

So far my investigations have come up with the following and I would love a sanity check please!

Septic tank - $12 - 15k
Water storage tanks - $5k each (we have a shared tank farm from a local bore but I want security of my own storage in case anything falls over)
Pump - $800
Driveway - $2k if I do it up to $8k to pay someone
Solar approx $30k
Services $100 per mtr

That's before we even start building - Gulp!!

I look forward to your suggestions, comments and laughs at me!

Regards
Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #530810 by tonybaker
you can hire a chain digger and do your own trench for power, phone etc and even buy and lay your own cable. You can get cable cheaper on trade me, along with a water pump. For the driveway, mark it out and insist the builders use it when working on the site. That way they will pack it down for you and then it's just a matter of putting gravel on and smoothing it out. You will need a tractor and it's best to get one now as it will be so useful.
Good luck....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #530815 by mrmacc
Hi Tony,

That's great advice I didn't think of how much traffic there will be during the build, makes perfect sense!

Craig

More
5 years 3 months ago #530817 by spark
A "tame" sparky will let you supply and install your own main cable, but, you need to be sure that the cable complies with our standards/regulations (some cable doesn't and shouldn't be sold here but unfortunately is...) and the sparky will need to see that the cable is properly installed in the trench before you fill it in.

More
5 years 3 months ago #530824 by tonybaker
I think you will find that the cable is the ultimate responsibility of local power board. They are usually quite helpful when discussing new installs. Main thing is to measure the cable correctly allowing for a bit in the ground at the house end and about 6 metres up the pole. If you can get your own transformer, it's good deal as if you have to come off a neighbours unit there will be hassles in the future. Also if you ever consider a second dwelling on site, ie granny flat or whatever, consider a 3 phase supply with one phase for second dwelling. You pay more standing charge for a 3 phase supply.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #530827 by Mudlerk
My advice would be to forego granite benchtops in favour of thoroughly planned [what how many and what kind of animals, etc?] stockyards!

More
5 years 3 months ago #530830 by stevelono
I just ran power to my site and i paid $16 + gst per m for the cable 195m ($3588). I was quoted by my building company $55 per m for cable. I dug the trench with a hired 2 tonne digger (1 day) $240. Sparky came and put tails on which was $480 then paid Northpower (power supplier) $533. Look around for water tanks. I was quoted $4000 for a 25000l concrete tank plus freight ($500) ended up getting a promax ribbed 25000l plastic for $3200 including delivery. Septic system is $13500.
Make sure to budget sightly higher on everything as i have discovered having a contingency fund is very handy. We went from $6000 quote for earthwork to a final bill of $18500.
Good Luck.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds