New to this and wondering about how much to charge

More
5 years 5 months ago #529817 by drewmack
Hi folks - we have bought 36 acres recently and have been approached by some folks wanting to lease some of the land. Happy to do this but no idea how much to charge per acre. There is water in the paddocks but most of the fences are in fairly shocking state of repair. Leasee is happy to run hot wires meantime. We are in Te Horo on the Kapiti Coast. Any advice much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #529820 by delboy11
When we took over our 10 acres last year and the neighbour approached us to lease half I called a local rural real estate agent that does large farm sales and leases and asked his opinion and he was able to give a clear answer on the phone.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by delboy11. Reason: Spelling mistake

More
5 years 5 months ago #529821 by drewmack
Thanks will try this

More
5 years 5 months ago #529859 by kai
Waves hello from over the river

More
5 years 5 months ago #529868 by LongRidge
When one of our locals asked an experienced farm stock agent how much his grazing was worth, the stock agent told him to ask me (?????).
12 hectares is a reasonable area, so makes it easier for the lessee in that he can leave a few animals for a long time, or bring in a big mob for long enough to bother doing all the movement work. If your road is a State highway then he cannot drove the animals along the road, but must use a truck, so will need yards and a truck loading ramp at your place.
Cattle and sheep grazing for us to graze other blocks is worth about $100 per acre per year plus fertiliser to bring it back to similar fertility as it started.
I consider weed control to be the land owners responsibility and cost, because my animals should not die from eating his weeds. I will do this at mates rates and take the cost off the grazing.
Ditto fencing but I repair fences that my animals damage. So I charge for fences that trees break while they are trying to escape.
I expect absolutely nobody nor their animals on the property unless with my prior approval, and no dumping of anything (especially poisonous plants, wood with lead paint on it, batteries, plastic bags, sprays, fertilisers, etc).
I expect the land owners dogs to be regularly treated against sheep measles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewmack

More
5 years 5 months ago #529875 by drewmack
Thank you for your comprehensive reply

More
5 years 5 months ago #529876 by drewmack
Waves enthusiastically back

More
5 years 5 months ago #529881 by LongRidge
Oops .... forgot no fires where my animals might get smoked or might eat the ashes. One Christmas Day I lost 2 donkeys and had 2 others very sick from smoke poisoning.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds