New to all of this

More
7 years 1 month ago #528992 by Georgenlesley
Hi there, we have recently moved from Auckland to the Far North. Really not sure why we took so long to make the move. Anyway being new to all of this is exciting but also very scary. We have to learn what equipment is best to invest in, how to best develop our 15acres to get the most out of the land and become self sufficient. We look forward to hearing all the advice you experienced and wonderful people are willing to share. Can anyone give advice on ride on mowers? Our immediate land around the house is about 3/4 acre and gentle contour. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #528993 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic New to all of this
Welcome to the forum - and the north. You're the second "just moved to the Far North" poster in two days! What is it that brings you to this part of the country?

More
7 years 1 month ago #529007 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New to all of this
Welcome. Unless you are growing an illegal cash crop, or are on very fertile ground suitable for market gardening and with a water right to irrigate, it is not possible to be fully self sufficient on 15 acres. You will still need an outside income and savings to make ends meet.
Before I got an ATV and a fertiliser spreader, I spread fertiliser by hand out of a bucket, and used a contractor to spread lime. Getting the fertility correct for what you want to grow is incredibly important. Manuka scrub to make honey from needs quite different chemicals in the soil than does pasture, than does pumpkins, potatoes, fruit etc.
Other toys I need are a good chainsaw, good fencing equipment,and a good enough ute.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #529009 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New to all of this
I have a Countax ride on, sometimes you can get a good used one on Trade Me. Mine picks up the grass and I use the clippings for mulch. Make sure you don't mow the grass too short or the weeds will take over.
Rather than try to make an income from your block, aim to reduce your cost of living by raising a few sheep and growing all your own veges. Once you get involved with GST/IRD you have the same worries as city folk.
Develop a few small paddocks and a small pen where you can corral your animals for the vet, homekill or shearer.
I have recently raised my own meat chickens for homekill, quite easy really.
Good luck, take it easy at first.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by tonybaker.

More
7 years 1 month ago #529016 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic New to all of this

Ruth wrote: Welcome to the forum - and the north. You're the second "just moved to the Far North" poster in two days! What is it that brings you to this part of the country?

Where else are you going to find cheap land.

Welcome Georgenlesley:)

More
7 years 1 month ago #529023 by Mgelder
Replied by Mgelder on topic New to all of this
Hi There,
We are also new to the far north! Not drawn by self sufficiency so much as a gorgeous view, though with 2 big paddocks we will likely raise some meat. We had the same query pretty quickly, what ride on? We contacted local mower dealers and asked them to come and look at our land, then bring some out to try on our property, we had narrowed it down to 2 by then. A walker, and a husqvarna 4wd. Our place came with an old mower that kept getting stuck. Northland Honda were great, sourced us two to try, we went with the husquvarna, and now hubby is in mower heaven. The mower is R316T AWD. Our land is also what we'd call a gentle slope, but we wanted a really stable mower. Would have tried a John Deere too, but they weren't as quick off the mark with service. Good luck!
Many thanks, Melissa.

More
7 years 1 month ago #529026 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic New to all of this

Ronney wrote: Where else are you going to find cheap land. . . .

Otira :lol:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 1 month ago #529242 by Runamuck
Replied by Runamuck on topic New to all of this
Welcome to the forum and the Far North! Whereabouts are you?
We're also in the Far North, in a valley (which presents it's own challenges in terms of creating something of a micro climate) inland from Mangonui. We settled on a Hustler ATZ mower, but then some parts of our place are rather steep and we needed something that could handle that.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds