More
5 years 5 months ago #528810 by ppcmoore
New member was created by ppcmoore
HI everyone...my wife (Karen) and I are moving to our new LSB from suburbia in mid-Jan. We have decided we will take the children, two dogs and cat with us. My wife was a Dairy Farmers daughter and is not as full of trepidation as I am. Her parents will (eventually) move on to the property with us so we will have their skills and knowledge to call on.

The property is 6.2 ha of flat or gently sloping land in Maraekakaho, Hawkes Bay, bordering the Maraekakaho River/Stream which runs through the property at one point for about 200m. It is well fenced into 8 paddocks with troughs. Water to property and house is from a well.

We have no firm plans or goals but go in with open minds and enthusiasm!

I am enjoying looking through the forums and website.

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #528814 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New member
Welcome to the LSB. Living on the land can be very rewarding. Keep us posted on your progress as you settle in.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 5 months ago #528824 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic New member
Welcome to the forum, ppcmoore. A lot of folks jump into the LSB waters at the deep end - some very quickly learn to swim, and others sadly drown! But you can take heart from the fact that your wife's and inlaws' dairying background will provide you with very efficient flotation aids! I'm certain you'll enjoy your new lifestyle. And, of course, there's a wealth of info and advice to be found here!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 5 months ago #528863 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic New member
ha ha, so pleased you are taking the children, two dogs and cat with you!. That's probably your first and hardest decision!

You say that your in laws will be joining you later? Well make sure that you discuss this fully with your lawyer as there could be ramifications in the future if things go sad.

Concentrate on establishing good water reticulation and get some trees in before you do anything else.

Good luck with your venture....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 5 months ago #528871 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New member
Welcome. Personally I would leave the children behind. They are OK when they are asleep, but the rest of the time ....:-).

More
5 years 5 months ago #528888 by toniwoodward
Replied by toniwoodward on topic New member
Hi everyone, we have bought 10acres of grass and will be moving from city to country in about 6 months. We haven't a clue what we are doing ;) but hope to make ourselves a lifestyle that is as self sustainable as we can. We are starting from scratch so have a steep learning curve! Wish us luck! Steve, Toni and Bella. Soon to be residents of Ruatangata West, Norhtland

More
5 years 5 months ago #529230 by wendypendy123
Replied by wendypendy123 on topic New member
LMAO!!!

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #529235 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic New member

toniwoodward wrote: Hi everyone, we have bought 10acres of grass and will be moving from city to country in about 6 months. We haven't a clue what we are doing ;) but hope to make ourselves a lifestyle that is as self sustainable as we can. We are starting from scratch so have a steep learning curve! Wish us luck! Steve, Toni and Bella. Soon to be residents of Ruatangata West, Norhtland

Get planting trees as soon as you can when you get there (if not before) - it's something I regret not doing sooner at our place. GOOD LUCK! :)

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Wren.

More
5 years 5 months ago #529240 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New member
I did that, and 20 years later it was not the best thing to do. I've had no end of trouble with the wrong trees being planted by me and the previous owners. Leyland cypress, gums, and oaks are not good for stock and can be very harmful indeed. Walnuts attract rats and mice. Pine nuts are difficult to harvest, poplars, willows and tagasaste get ring barked. I planted my orchard on a slope. That makes fertilising, spraying and harvesting very difficult. I did not know that peaches, apricots and nectarines would do so poorly. We harvest rain water and the trees were planted too close to the house. We did not realise that everything has to be planted twice the height it will grow to, and you must remember that in 20 years time you will not be able to top the trees that grow upwards.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds