New to this forum

More
5 years 8 months ago #526986 by RescuedFeral
Hi, i am new to this forum and find it immensely useful .... its great to find a group specific to NewZealand and i am pleased to learn more from all on here.... i currently have rescue goats and kune pig with indoor cats as my tribe....

i am researching the very best mineral supplements for my goats as with this seasonal change they seem to have very dry coats, we are in the waikato.

any suggestions from you kind and knowledgeable folks would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #526991 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic New to this forum
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I am in the northern Waikato on the Hauraki Plains. The region is notorious for its lack of copper and selenium - those are the first items to check for in your mineral supplements for this area. Sodium also is very low in some parts of the Waikato. Lack of any of those minerals will give the coat a dry and dull appearance.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RescuedFeral

More
5 years 8 months ago #527055 by RescuedFeral
Replied by RescuedFeral on topic New to this forum
thanks, i got them a new salt and mineral block today with good quantities of copper and selenium and i also got a Himalayan pink salt lick too...... OMG the girls love the Himalayan salt :woohoo:

More
5 years 8 months ago #527059 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New to this forum
At this time of the year, goats will be shedding their fleece unless they have been recently shorn. They look very scruffy at shedding. Also, this is a very good time for them to catch worms, so watch out for loose poo.

More
5 years 8 months ago #527083 by RescuedFeral
awesome, great minds think alike....lol.... i gave them some brushing yesterday and picked up drench today because tomorrow is drench day....also got them vitamin B/multivitamin injections.... i am getting good at giving them shots :)

More
5 years 8 months ago #527099 by LongRidge
The drench will probably have minerals in it, so do the B12 injection in a couple of weeks.
Have you been told that a drench with levamisol in it is more poisonous to the animals than the other 2 drench families? If your drench has this in it then do not overdose.
Have you been told to only drench when necessary, and not to a timetable?
Overdrench if there is no levamisol in the drench?
Not do all unless they all need it?
Put them back into the paddock that they were in for a couple of days?
For very sick goats, drench them again in a few days?

More
5 years 8 months ago #527132 by RescuedFeral
thankyou, have already given vitamin shot... but will remember this for next time
have weighed goats prior to drenching so no chance of overdosing ( i am very careful with this )
drenching as needed ... checks for parasite signs prior to dosing
you have very good questions thankyou, i am very willing to learn more and your questions have prompted me to research further....thankyou

More
5 years 8 months ago #527139 by LongRidge
With drenching, and vaccinating, and antibiotics , it is very very important that you do not underdose. Overdosing is very important to ensure that you have got enough of the drug into the animal, so that there is enough of the drug to do the job. They have all sorts of ways to stop it all getting in, and with drenches to get it out too quickly to do much good. Minerals, especially the poisonous one (selenium), need much more care in getting right.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds