Modest Lifestyle in Seddon

• sandgrubber
5 years 4 months ago #531257 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
Have moved in at long last. How the weeds have grown! Meeting neighbors, who are great and helpful. One wants to collect the loads of dropped fruit for her pigs. Another is loaning me simple tools ...Mine are all in a sea container on the ocean somewhere. Lots of work to do. Everything is overgrown. Trees need pruning, wisteria trying to eat the house, boards on back porch are pretty rotten, irrigation system is cobbled together and falling apart. It's gonna be fun!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #531259 by tonybaker
welcome back. Sandgrubber! It don't sound too bad?
Forget the irrigation it will rain from now on! The rotten boards in the porch will make good firewood for the cold nights to come. Those fruit trees are probably due for the chop anyway, more firewood.......
Get yourself down to Yealands Winery and enjoy a bit of free wine tasting.
Stay cool and the neighbours will help.
PS. don't complain about the high prices here, we know about it and accept it as the price (pun) to pay for living in paradise...get yourself a trade account at Bunnings and you will get a little bit back. You just tell them you are doing house renovations, they don't check.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by tonybaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandgrubber

More
5 years 4 months ago #531261 by Stikkibeek
Apart from some judicious pruning of the fruit trees, I wouldn't give them the chop before establishing what they are. Your own bottle fruit over the winter every year will be far more warming than a few fires. Welcome to NZ. Sounds as if retirement is not a word in your dictionary, but that's a good thing. it keeps you fit :cheer:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• sandgrubber
5 years 4 months ago #531401 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
The only high prices I'm complaining about are those for fruit and veg, and that won't be a problem for long. I've already got lettuce, rocket, leeks, salad onions and various Brassicas sprouting, plus I have freezer space and should be able to do something with these mountains of peaches and little apples. Found a good juicer on TradeMe, that should help. Going to have a go at making kim-chee when the Chinese cabbage gets big enough to harvest. Yealands gives discounts to locals, so the vino is taken care of.

More
5 years 4 months ago #531405 by tonybaker
well done! you are on the way to becoming a good Kiwi! Now is a good time to sow onion seeds in trays, red and white. We juice apples using a garden shredder and a small wine press. We then let it settle for a few days in the fridge and rack it off into plastic bottles for the freezer. With your juicer you can make beetroot and apple juice, very tasty and nutritious.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds