Modest Lifestyle in Seddon

More
5 years 9 months ago #526930 by tonybaker
I wouldn't worry about storing water in case of fire - you will be able to throw bottles of wine at it!!

Get settled in and wait a while before thinking about animals. Milking sheep is not much fun and you need small hands and good eyesight!
Just get an old ewe to keep the grass down or buy a ride on mower.

Those fruit trees look like they could do with a good prune and maybe grafting over with different cultivars.

I would get a good vege garden going first. You can get free horse manure from the racetrack in Blenheim.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandgrubber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #526935 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon

sandgrubber wrote: ...Some trivia on the topic of building codes and water tanks: in much of rural California, you MUST have 10,000 gallons (~37,500 l) of tank water (generally from a bore) to get a building permit. That's so the fire tankers can fill up if you property has to be defended.

We have similar requirements here for fire-fighting water supplies. It depends on the Council, but the Fire Service has a code of practice that guides most Council's requirements. For new houses with non-reticulated water, 45,000 L and a suitable connection is required, but in practice this can be the house supply, which is not always full...
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Hawkspur.

More
5 years 9 months ago #526944 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
Kaipara District, immediately north of Auckland Council area, require an extra 25,000 litre tank for fire fighting also.
I wonder how many people use up thjis tank in times of drought when their first tank dries out and who comes and checks.
I think an alternative and accessible water source is also acceptable

• sandgrubber
5 years 9 months ago #526946 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
I'd be willing to bet that they only check up AFTER there's been a fire and the fire crews ended out sucking bottom ;)

More
5 years 9 months ago #526984 by rivercottage
Welcome to New Zealand and congratulations on realising your dream.
Your place looks lovely, and it seems that you have many opportunities with your property. You will find so much helpful information on this site so make good use of the search function.

BTW, if your fruit trees include apples and pears, and if you drink alcohol, it is very easy (and fairly cheap) to make your own cider - which would be so much better than feeding sheep. While we're on the subject of alcohol, did you know that it is LEGAL to brew your own spirits in NZ - quite surprising to many people. Of course, you're not allowed to sell it just like you are not allowed to sell home-killed meat.

Just to mention that geese and ducks eat a heck of a lot of grass and that could be an alternative to sheep - ducks really need a pond though, and I'm not sure about geese.

• sandgrubber
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #526992 by sandgrubber
Useful thoughts.
I'm bringing my bottling gear : I've brewed beer in the past, and understand hops does well in NZ. In my hippie days we made cider from apples from an abandoned orchard . . . it wasn't real good and fermentation was hit or miss . . . but I imagine there are recipes and manuals around to help bring up the quality. Is it worth picking up a fruit crusher and press from the US, or are they easy come-by in NZ. Here's a site that has a good collection ( pleasanthillgrain.com/appliances/apple-wine-presses ).
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by sandgrubber.

More
5 years 9 months ago #526994 by Stikkibeek
You'd do better to pick up what you need from US, but you will have to pay GST on it on entry to NZ. At least you won't have to pay tax in America if it's going out of the country.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 9 months ago #526998 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
For information on where you can get milk sheep you could contact Jill Galloway, the rural reporter for the Manawatu Standard or Craig Prichard at Massey University [he's my friend who has some]. A propos the building regs in the U.S.; depends on where you are: When my wife was on sabbatical at Ohio University, [near my birthplace] one of her colleagues was told by the local authority that they didn't need a septic tank for their new house, because 'you don't need to worry if you're out in the county'!

More
5 years 9 months ago #527009 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
muri - yes, an alternative supply is acceptable. If your supply can deliver 25 L/s for 30 min. you don't have to have a storage tank. Other requirements are that the connection be close to a hardstanding area suitable for a 20T vehicle, (so the fire engine won't get bogged down).
There are access requirements too, which our property won't meet, so I'm intending to install domestic fire sprinklers, but a bush fire would be a nightmare in this valley.
Mudlerk, a friend of mine lived in an area in the USA with more flexible rules for building than here - they didn't need to meet any rules for their dwelling, because it didn't touch the ground. It was a treehouse.
Stikkibeek, would you have to pay GST on it if it came over as part of shipping all the household stuff?

More
5 years 9 months ago #527027 by Stikkibeek
Only if brand new I think and there is a value limit, but the Government were looking at that recently. Don't know the outcome.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

• sandgrubber
5 years 9 months ago #527028 by sandgrubber
Lots of discussion of this on enz.org (emmigration to NZ). No one seems to have hit a limit. Second hand stuff can be imported with a few exceptions (eg., caravans). I'll declare a few new things in as 'new' and pay duty. Not a problem. Often you can purchase second hand; and if I try a press and crusher out before importing them, they will be used and I can make sure they have a few scratches and look used. I think there are some rules about how long you are supposed to have owned something you import. This is taken seriously for autos and big ticket items shipped with original packing, but would be impossible to enforce for household goods. How on earth can they tell what you bought from an op shop and what you had owned for years?

More
5 years 9 months ago #527035 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Modest Lifestyle in Seddon
When I was in Operation Deepfreeze [the US Navy Antarctic support programme], some of the guys used to import new autos and then sell them six months later, before we went back to Washington. One of them told me that you had to keep them for six months before you could flog them off as 'used'. Mind you, all this was 50 years ago!! Even with the shipping they turned a 50% profit, because it was so hard to get new cars from overseas...you had to have 'overseas funds'.

More
5 years 9 months ago #527044 by tonybaker

sandgrubber wrote: Useful thoughts.
I'm bringing my bottling gear : I've brewed beer in the past, and understand hops does well in NZ. In my hippie days we made cider from apples from an abandoned orchard . . . it wasn't real good and fermentation was hit or miss . . . but I imagine there are recipes and manuals around to help bring up the quality. Is it worth picking up a fruit crusher and press from the US, or are they easy come-by in NZ. Here's a site that has a good collection ( pleasanthillgrain.com/appliances/apple-wine-presses ).

Don't bother, I use a garden shredder for apples and made my own press with a few bits of metal and a car jack. Both work well. Hops grow well here but plants are difficult to obtain, it's hardly worth the bother of growing them.
As far as fire fighting goes, you are only minutes away from the fire station and there are hydrants in the street so you don't need storage!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 9 months ago #527302 by LongRidge
You might have problems importing used juice presses, and brewing gear, so check about those.

More
5 years 8 months ago #527775 by tonybaker
hey Sandgrubber, hope you are ok down there in Seddon? I guess your pioneer house stood up well to the shaking?

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds