Not out of the Blocks Yet - some advice about maize growing please :-)

More
5 years 9 months ago #525331 by LandP
Hi
We have just joined LSB as we are looking into buying a property a little out of town. We are contemplating taking the leap before our three kids grow up and leave home (they are currently 13, 11, 10), as we'd really like them to enjoy the space.

The property we are looking at is 4ha in the Waikato. We would love eventually to have some animals on it, but are aware that there's a fair bit of learning to happen before then! It has had maize grown on it for the past two years, so we thought that could be a good use for it while we find our feet. The maize grown was used on the owner's farm for their cows, rather than being sold, so the agent wasn't able to give me any guide for how much we could make. I have found an online calculator for how much it would cost to plant and grow and harvest the maize, but nothing on how much you can sell it for. Can anyone tell me any figures for how much profit you could make growing maize for a crop or maize silage? I'm hoping I can add that to the equation for the bank...

Many thanks
L&P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #525347 by muri
Maize can be quite a profitable crop when grown in quantity.
I suspect that when grown in small amounts it has very limited value due to the cost of getting equipment to the property at the time it is to be harvested.
Also, you need to have a buyer for the crop
Can you ask the person you are thinking of buying the land from how much the crop would be worth
I would say probably - just as a guess - if it was profitable to grow on 4ha then a lot more people would be doing it rather than having stock
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by muri.

More
5 years 9 months ago #525349 by Muz1
Suggest you try contractors in the area as they often look for land to grow crops on. They prefer big blocks but will take small blocks if in vicinity of other land leased. No internal fencing is preferred.

Everything Must be Somewhere

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds