Hello All!

More
5 years 9 months ago #524993 by Midsommer
Hello All! was created by Midsommer
Hello everyone,

I have really enjoyed reading all the articles on the web page, and have learned a lot.

We bought our place a couple of years ago, and we have sheep and chickens, and a series of beef cows for food.(21 acres)

I chose Midommer as our place resembles Midsommer Murders some times. We seem to have had disaster after disaster!

We had terrible luck with a non working ram the first year, so splashed out on a ram from a breeder. Again, I can't quite believe the bad luck. He seems to have a problem with worms or something even though he's now 2, and the first year the lambs were dead at birth, apart from one which had 6 legs that we had to shoot. Then we bought five new(Old) ewes to replace the others.
This year out of 7 lambs two have had bad entropion and I've had to treat that. And this is from all different ewes on good grass and minerals too.
So I think he has to go.

We bought 5 year old ewes thinking they would be really happy here and having read the articles, but they have done very badly, one died a month or so after we bought them - she got really thin and wouldn't come out from the bush until evening.
The others are so thin compared to the ram even though the grass is plentiful. Their lambs are small and I'm not convinced they have all that much milk. Anyhow, hopefully they will last until weaning!!

Also we thought we'd rear a couple of beef calves with the children. Being new to the area I got ripped off by the local calf rearer. 3 black white face bulls appeared in our barn on our place as 3 red tiny sick heifers, one of which died that night, and the other two are just pathetic, but very well looked after and friendly. They are 2 years now, but resemble small yearlings.

We are going to get real beef cows, and not have anything to do with the calf system.

I might try one more time and try to buy a couple of 2ths young ewes from somewhere and cull these older ewes. It just hasn't worked that well for the poor old girls I feel bad that they are so thin.

I just don't know how not to get ripped off all the time. Seems a sport to some!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #524995 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Hello All!
Welcome Midsommer, what a tale of woe, enough to put anyone off the life style!
Better luck in the coming season.
You should have had comeback on the calf seller when not only did they change colour but sex as well! Trouble is when you only need a few sheep or cattle the seller can easily off load the culls to unsuspecting newbies.

If you post your region or whereabouts there could be an experienced member of LSB nearby that could help you with future projects and advice.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
5 years 9 months ago #524996 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hello All!
Hi Midsommer and welcome to the forum. I second Sue's question about where you are.

Did you get your vet involved with the problems you had with the sheep in particular? Thin animals can have more causes than worms, with some elemental deficiencies preventing them from living healthily and then they'll succumb to everything else.

More
5 years 9 months ago #524997 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello All!
Welcome, welcome, welcome. It is great to hear that it's not just with me that animals have problems :) . I have been accused of being very gloomy, but I firmly believe that we can and should learn from our (and others) disasters :)
For years, "this is going to be my last lambing" ..... and this year hopefully it will be. Have you seen any of my posts about our disaster with insufficient iodine in the pregnant ewes' diet? Since then I have ensured that the ewes get a pregnancy tonic, to which I add extra iodine. We have not had iodine deficiency since, but have still had small lambs at times.
We did have a ram that worked one year and not the next. Since then we have had at least 2 rams, and this year I was glad that I had 3 because 2 died of Facial Eczema during tupping. We never have FE here :( .
If your ewes lambs did not have entopian previous years then the problem is all due to the ram. We had a really good ram .... except the lambs had entopian eyelids. We have seldom had it since he went ).
Any sheep will get worms if the conditions are right for it to happen. I am a firm believer that all sheep must have a few worms inside them so that the immune system makes antibodies against them. It is difficult to balance enough with too much. Thus animals that are obviously sick get drenched, and sometimes twice within a few days. Those that are not sick do not get drenched unless the weather is absolutely ideal for worms to grow, which it is now. I suggest that you do a FEC reduction test (well, 3 actually). Make a new post on Your Place so we can discuss this.

More
5 years 9 months ago #525003 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Hello All!
The comment about ewe not coming out of bush until evening might indicate facial excema which can also have affect on condition.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
5 years 9 months ago #525005 by Midsommer
Replied by Midsommer on topic Hello All!
Thank you all for your replies!

I'm so pleased to hear that others can relate to the new lifestyler problems!

I'd love to have super start up stories, but even trying my best it all seems a bit of a disaster at times.

I just thought it best to be honest, so many times I hear the lovely stories of ancient sheep rearing wonderful lambs and I feel a bit of a failure with my five year olds trying their best to die.

Someone else said they thought that sheep had facial ecsema so was hiding from the light, not just being completely awkward and trying to starve itself to death.
I'll write a new thing about facial ecsema as I don't really know what you are talking about with that test......

Thank you once again all, put a smile on my face :)

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #525016 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Hello All!

Midsommer wrote: I'll write a new thing about facial ecsema as I don't really know what you are talking about with that test......

The test that LongRidge is talking about is to do with worms, not facial eczema.

The Faecal Egg Count Reduction Test (FECRT) is for measuring the anthelmintic efficacy of the worming drench by working out what percentage of parasites survived the drug given to the animal. Drenching an animal does not necessarily guarantee the animal gets completely dewormed.

To do the test, you take a faecal sample for FEC checking before drenching, then repeat the test a week to 2 weeks (depending on the drench used) after drenching to assess how effective it's been.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Rokker.

More
5 years 9 months ago #525046 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Hello All!
I am so sorry but the Mr and I pissed ourselves laughing through out your whole recital of your ideals. Sorry, sorry, sorry. Could have happened to anyone I spose. I really hope for better luck for you in the future. You should write a book.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Midsommer

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds