New house cow

More
5 years 10 months ago #524732 by Jarret
New house cow was created by Jarret
Hi lifestyle blockers, 3 years ago we bought a 12 acre block in DC but had to stay in Auckland to work until 4 months ago! We're finally here living our dream. We had tenants on our block to get it established before we made the move so have 12 hens, 2 roosters, 4 sheep, 2 lambs, 2 heifers one of which had her first calf a month ago! We also have Auckland born and bred - 2 cats, 1 kitten and a beautiful Cocker Spaniel. We all love The Good Life!! Now, I have a bit of a dilemma which I'm hoping someone can give me some advise on, my jersey who has calved has an incredibly huge udder for her breed and is so full of milk but her calf is only feeding from 2 teats. I managed to hand milk her a few times while in the pen but has now found her "kick". I haven't been able to get her in a confined space to be able to leg rope her. My concern is that she might get mastitis if not milked - is this correct and if so does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Liz ☺

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #524746 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New house cow
She is ....probably .... kicking because the teats are very tender and sensitive. When hand milking always lubricate the teat with teat cream or water before you start, and as the teat gets dry.
You also don't feel right ... and never will. If you want to milk her then she has to learn the feeling of "the other" (ie you). It might help if you can put the calf in front of her while you milk. Also try making a tray to put hay and pellets on so she can eat while you are milking.
If the bugs don't get into the udder then she won't get mastitis. If the bugs have not got in yet then leaving the teats alone will allow them to dry off. Talk to your vet about drugs to prevent bugs getting in while she is drying off, if you don't want to milk her.
If you do milk her, try using the colostrum yourself. The colostrum milk that I have tried has tasted really nice :)

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #524752 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic New house cow
Sounds as if she would have been a good case to graft another calf on to help with the milk. If it's a recent calving and she is the right sort of heifer, it can be quite easy.
To milk her out though to ease the engorgement, you need to have a suitable cow bale where you can keep her in and leg rope her for safety. They learn pretty quickly not to kick, and you can lessen the initial distress it might cause, by taking hold of the flank skin with your hand and squeezing while lifting upwards. It stops them kicking but does not hurt them.
Have a place in front where you can secure her calf and have a feed bin at about chest height for her to have a snack out of.

This is a poor design. You could get your arm broken if a cow kicks and gets your arm between her leg and the rail. poor design

A good design will have a shortened side to the bail on the side you will milk her from. This picture shows a more typical old walk through type where there is a "dummy" in between the two cows. This is a good place to build a pen to put the calf in. Ours used to have a feed bin let into the side at the front. You dont need to have it walk through, you can easily teach a cow to back out by taking off the britching chain and sliding your hand up to her "whither" and exerting gentle pressure, or simply leaving her to back out on her own. More typical design Notice they are leg roped and britchin chained.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
5 years 10 months ago #524766 by Jarret
Replied by Jarret on topic New house cow
Thanks for your advise, I have been putting udder cream on and giving her treats. Cheers for letting me know about the mastitis!

More
5 years 10 months ago #524767 by Jarret
Replied by Jarret on topic New house cow
Thanks, I will try your suggestion about the flank skin!

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds