Immigrated to NZ and new to LSB

More
5 years 10 months ago #524389 by Nancy2092
Hi to everyone
I am new to the LSB lifestyle and am now starting to look into buying some cattle! I have a faily large block that can manage several head and am preparing to purchase some weaners in about a week. Can anyone give me some info on learning to drench properly etc. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #524411 by Stikkibeek
You should find a good bovine vet in your area and go and introduce yourself to him/her. Discuss with the vet the best kind of drenches for the age of the animal you intend to buy. For instance, it is better to orally drench weaners, but you can get away with pourons in older cattle. Your local vet will know what species of parasites are prevalent in your area as well as other deficiencies in the soil such as selenium and copper. They will also help with information about weights and measures of drench and most vets will decant small amounts of drench for small numbers of cattle, for minimal cost as most products come in larger volumes and are expensive and possibly wasteful if sitting on a shelf for many months/years. They will also send a fecal egg count away to the lab for you so you know whether it's time to drench or not. All about getting the balance right.
Oh, and welcome to the LSB :)

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 10 months ago #524458 by tonybaker
Have you had experience with animals before? If not I would ask a neighbour if they want any grazing for a year or two whilst you get "acclimatised". You will need cattle handling facilities if you are going to drench, and a loading ramp if you plan to sell cattle. Also you have to be " NAIT" registered .
I would go for a few sheep to start with.
Good luck and welcome to this great little country!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 10 months ago #524515 by LongRidge
Down here, there will be no weaner calves for sale until December, and they will be PGGWrightson IH dairy calves, so will predominantly be Jersey cross, so not worth much as meat.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds