a vegetable crop - where to start?

More
5 years 11 months ago #523399 by Steini
Starting a crop

Finally got my 5 acre block in puhoi and I want to start growing crops beyond the greenhouse and into the paddocks. Maybe then turn the barn into a kitchen and make vegetarian food for cafes..one step at a time. I have no idea where to start. Are there courses on this? Who old I contact to plug the paddocks? Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #523425 by tonybaker
well, Steini, it's great to have dreams! You know that you need to have a certified kitchen before you can trade stuff? Maybe ask health inspector what this would involve.
Research your market and don't make the mistake that just because you sell more cheaply than other places, that you will be onto a winner. You will only be destroying their business that they have built up over the years.
Growing veges is not easy, but you can make a start by getting someone to rotary hoe some of your ground and see how you go. Until you can grow veges well, don't bother thinking about the other part of the business.
Ask your local polytech for info on organic courses, no point trying to sell sprayed stuff. Go and work for a similar company for a while and see how it is done........
Best of luck...get started now with garlic, onions, cabbages etc....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steini

More
5 years 11 months ago #523563 by kindajojo
big plans , I would be making a serious business plan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steini

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds