Hello one and all, help with fencing

More
7 years 7 months ago #523269 by Grawillie
Hi,
Just a quick question hoping some experienced hand will know. I have pulled out some fences and now have to replace them. I have several strainers and round posts in good order and intend to reuse them. Do I need to spend hours of frustrating work pulling all the old staples or can I just bang them in and use the 'other side' of the post when stringing new wire? Any suggestions gladly received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #523270 by Rokker
No, just bang them in if you want to, but make sure they're banged in well and not likely to fall out into the grass where animals can accidentally swallow them . I've done untold kilometres of fencing and often reused the customer's posts so long as they are not starting to rot . . . that's the more important thing. Posts that are beginning to decay don't retain staples as well. If your posts are, as you say, in good order then all is well, but if in doubt you could use barbed staples for better retention.

Also, make sure the straightest edge of the post is where your wire goes - even if it's the same side as where the old staples are.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grawillie

More
7 years 7 months ago #523284 by Grawillie
Thanks for that. Good advice. There are barbed staples in the posts all ready, that is what makes it all so frustrating and time consuming. Takes forever to get a post clean. Thanks again.

More
7 years 7 months ago #523285 by LongRidge
The main problem, apart from the unsoundness one, of using old posts is that the timber is much harder than with new posts. And is you are using old strainer posts that have a notch for a stay, use the post the same direction that it was so that you don't have to cut another notch. you are likely to need to repair the notch.

More
7 years 7 months ago #523291 by Grawillie
Thanks, good point about the notch. I would have done that anyway. The wood hardness is definitely a factor. I was advised against reusing some old half rounds as they would probably break when driven. New posts there and I'm only reusing sound rounds and strainers . Halves and slightly dodgy posts I can dig in and possibly concrete, if required, on wee short runs at my 'leisure'. :lol:
I only run up to a dozen ewes with one ram and I wont consider calves without electric outriggers.

Thanks again for all your replies.

More
7 years 7 months ago #523295 by Stikkibeek

Grawillie wrote: The wood hardness is definitely a factor. I was advised against reusing some old half rounds as they would probably break when driven.

Old half rounds can also make great garden edging around the flower gardens. Otherwise dig in rather than ram.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 7 months ago #523298 by Rokker
Also, don't forget to keep a few half rounds to cut for feet for your strainer stays. They are perfect for that.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 7 months ago #523328 by LongRidge
Half rounds are also useful for breast plates and toes on strainers. Ramming old posts is a bit risky because as well as being harder they are also more fragile than new posts.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds