new lifestyler in need of new drive way ;)

More
5 years 11 months ago #523084 by kiwi1
Will my partner and i are now lifestylers , We have just today purchassed a 22 Acre block in the FarNorth / but it needs a new drive way to be layed or resurfaced / So been new to the aera dose anyone in the far north know of a driveway layer that is of resonable price as this drive way is 1 klm from the main road to the house / My farm is in the twin bridges aera / also looking for a fencer / Kiwi1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #523086 by Rokker
Something like rotten rock or track rock would be a reasonably cheap option that could do the job, but you'd have to investigate what's available in your area. Transport costs can destroy the economics if you have to truck it too far.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 11 months ago #523087 by Ruth
Welcome to the forum. :)

If you intend staying there for a long time, doing a good job from the start will save a lot of trouble and expense in the long term. There's a driveway I've been watching for a few years now, just along Ruaroa Road, on the right, which goes quite steeply up a hill. It seems to have been formed very well and is holding up even through some pretty nasty wet winters. I noted who constructed it at the time. I don't know that the company would be the cheapest, but that the driveway is still in good nick is a good indication of their skills and work.

I also know some good local fencers. PM me for all details!

More
5 years 11 months ago #523092 by LongRidge
As Ruth says, do a good job if you have the driveway in the best position. Our driveway used to serve a rural airstrip, so I thought that it was pretty good. Even so I had to grade and re-gravel it quite often. Then I put in 5 culverts along the 500 meters, and that has made a huge difference. Unfortunately the power and the telephone lines go up the drive, so I was not able to put them in deeply enough. It will be interesting to see what happens to these culverts when the timber is taken out from up the back of the property.

More
5 years 11 months ago #523369 by tonybaker
well, it all depends on the terrain? If it is flat, there is a cheap product called "track maintenance" that you can get trucked in and spread. If it is a bit hilly, avoid any product that contains "rounds" or pebbles, go for crushed aggregate as this will give you more grip.
I would contact a trucking company and get a quote. Sounds like an expensive exercise to get one K done as a proper driveway! Truckies can put a 44gal drum in the back of the truck and tip out two strips of aggregate, this is the cheapest option.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds