Greetings from Hauraki

More
6 years 2 months ago #520332 by Rokker
I've visited this forum a few times in the past as a result of Google search on various topics, so decided it's about time to take part.

We've spent the last 3 years doing up a rather run-down small block on the Hauraki Plains. The place was in shocking condition when we arrived - land covered in weeds, rubbish everywhere, broken down sheds and structures everywhere. But the price was right and we saw great potential beyond the mess.

Three years later and we've cleaned up and fenced the pasture into functional paddocks, built new sheds and calf-rearing facilities and yards, installed troughs and water reticulation, and the place is once again productive. This year we're running 10 jersey bull calves (plus one Friesan bull calf) which we've raised from 4-day olds born last July - the Friesan was one that I rescued from the neighbours bobby truck because he had torsioned front legs that simply needed splinting for a few days. He was soon running around with his Jersey mates like a happy little larry!

Anyway - enough about me for the moment. Looking forward to interacting with you all here and sharing ideas.

Take care

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #520339 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Greetings from Hauraki
Sounds like you have had a lot of fun getting things up and running and that you have achieved an enormous amount.
Are you living on the block as well as you dont mention accommodation?

More
6 years 2 months ago #520358 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Greetings from Hauraki
Hi Muri - yes, we do live on the block. There are two houses side by side, joined with a garage between. And yes - it's been a lot of work, but SO much fun and satisfaction gained.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds