Hello there

More
6 years 3 months ago #519369 by Nectar-Bomb
Hello there was created by Nectar-Bomb
Hi people, my partner and I have just bought a lifestyle block and well this seems to be a good place to start. Already got some chickens, though they are not laying (no matter how much I explain their purpose in the food chain). We are off grid with minimal solar. We are looking to some fridge solutions at the moment as a chilly bin is seems to be only a short term option (slimy and smelly).
Trying to work out what to do with 4 years of grass growth that is now yellow and slightly flattened, do we cut it back or let it rot on its own buzz.
Also do horses eat flax? Because we have some grazing on some of the property to get the grass down (hense why its more flattened than grazed now) and I came out the other morning and the flax was crushed and messed up. Bits had been torn out and its pretty hearty stuff. So either they do or I have some kind of flax monster.

Anyways looking forward to pick all of your brains.

Chur,

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #519373 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Hello there
Hi and welcome.
If you haven't much power to use to run a fridge, build a "meat safe" to keep some food cool.
It is a shaded, ventilated cupboard, with mesh to keep insects out, and was built-in the kitchen or laundry to many older houses. A top and bottom vent allows air to circulate and keeps things surprisingly cool.
You can add evaporative cooling if that isn't cool enough.

More
6 years 3 months ago #519383 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Hello there
Hi, welcome and good luck.
The horses will do more as you describe to the flax rather than eat it although they may have a munch on some.
They won't be enjoying the long rank grass but given enough time and no other food source will make some in-roads into it.

Confirmed horse addict.

More
6 years 3 months ago #519430 by Nectar-Bomb
Replied by Nectar-Bomb on topic Hello there
Ah so it was the horses on the flax then, that is much than what my imagination had conjured up (see Flax Yeti).

Hmmm I feel a bit mean leaving them on it, think I will put them on some green stuff, but then how do I get rid of this stuff, will it just rot down over winter and start again all pretty in spring or do I need to cut it back and remove it?

More
6 years 3 months ago #519431 by Nectar-Bomb
Replied by Nectar-Bomb on topic Hello there
Hi Hawkspur, cheers for the idea, I have now found one these meat safes in the house. Do you recommend wrapping the meat in anything specific before putting it in these safes? I am figuring gladwrap should do the trick but is there anything else that should be done?

Cheers

More
6 years 3 months ago #519440 by Hawkspur
Ha that's handy!
If the meat is wrapped in plastic and therefore won't get wet from it you could add a wet cloth around it as evaporative cooling. It won't keep as long as a fridge, but is pretty good.

Check the vents and mesh haven't been blocked by slapdash painters over the years, or punctured allowing flies through.

More
6 years 3 months ago #519449 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Hello there
plastic wrap doesn't sound right? I would go for something that can let the air through. You could make some nice ham in that safe.....

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
5 years 11 months ago #523471 by Hippychick
Replied by Hippychick on topic Hello there
Didnt they used to use damp cheesecloth around the meat?

More
5 years 11 months ago #523473 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hello there
Yes to the damp cheese cloth. If you have several bits on the go, then replace each day with a new clean but wet one, and wash out the one you take off and recycle it later. A good way to keep ham fresh.
Gladwrap might be ok to put over a dish with cooked meat so you can keep it between meals.
When we were kids, we had a hole in the ground which Dad lined with wet sacking. We kept milk and butter in there and the butter was so chilled it was too hard to spread. The hole needs to be where it won't fill with rain or ground water.
You could also consider a caravan small refridgerator. You can get gas operated ones.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 11 months ago #523500 by Hawkspur
You definitely want the plastic wrap, and yes, it is there to exclude air as well as bacteria. If you are not curing or aging meat, this is important and will extend the period that you can keep the meat, or whatever other chilled goods you are storing.
No, they did not used to use it, but that was because it wasn't available. waxed cloth or paper was used when available.

The damp cloth provides a reservoir of water and a big surface area for evaporation. It can cool just as well through a layer of plastic that is in contact with the meat.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds