Recently retired from paid work.

More
6 years 4 months ago #519314 by Bill Richardson
Good afternoon, Helen and I have recently retired from paid work and thought we would move away from Auckland to a small LSB. We have purchased a property in the hills just out of Mangawhai with views out to the Hen and Chicken islands. The property is North facing and fairly steep for my old legs. It has about 20 fruit trees on the slopes and had agapanthus in between the trees. We started by trying to cut the agapanthus out with a brush cutter and found this was hard work and only took the tops off. I also found I was slipping over on the grass tracks and as we are well into the back nine holes, (Late 60's) we didn't want to risk broken hips etc. so employed a local contractor to remove the rubbish with a large digger. We found this much more convenient, although costly, but did lose some trees through the damage caused by the digger. However, we now have shaped level paths which we intend to grass in the autumn. We also intend to plant more trees and will use the espalier growing method. As we have still to put in the posts and wires, any advise will be greatly appreciated. We also have a one hectare paddock which we are considering using for growing a couple of calves. As we intend to travel, we need to be able to leave any stock for a few weeks without worrying. We are enjoying the lifestyle immensely and absolutely love being retired.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #519324 by LongRidge
Enough fruit trees are plenty, and any more are a waste of effort. I planted 10 walnut trees in the hope that I would be able to sell walnuts. I have given away many kilograms of them, but not been able to sell any.
1 grapefruit tree is enough for 2 of us.
2 apple trees are plenty because I don't have cool storage.
2 feijoa trees provides us with enough fresh and frozen feijoas for a years supply.
2 plum trees are enough for the wine and breakfast fruit.

More
6 years 4 months ago #519332 by muri
Just be aware that every bit of root of agapanthus left in the ground can resprout, so I would be watching to see if there is any re-growth before planting grass.
I would spend a season there enjoying the already planted trees to see what is lacking and what you may think you could need, its really hard to give advice without knowing whats there.
In a normal summer, those hills dry out substantially so before you extend, ensure you have the water to keep things going.
I would imagine you may well struggle with two cattle on one hectare. Calves grow and become larger and would probably require close to 1ha per animal unless you want to spend a lot of money on feed to keep them going thru a wet winter or a dry summer. When you have a very small acreage, its much harder on the land in the most difficult times so I think you may be pushing it to buy in two calves if you are going to run them thru to maturity
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Richardson

More
5 years 3 months ago #531032 by Goldwing05
Hi Bill,
Heard you had moved up to Mangawai area.Finally found you.Daughter now lives in Kaiwaka, I would like to call in and catch up. Send me email if ok.
John Slater
Bsn medical.

More
5 years 3 months ago #531041 by spark

Bill Richardson wrote: [SNIP]As we intend to travel, we need to be able to leave any stock for a few weeks without worrying. [SNIP]

Hi Bill,

If you will be away from your block for a few weeks at a time, you will want a reliable person to check on your stock in your absence.
Falling trees crush fences, water reticulation systems fail (no drinking water for the stock until someone fixes it!) and stock sometimes get sick, tangled in a fence, cast, or escape onto the road...

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds