Small LSB in Raetihi

More
6 years 5 months ago #518256 by Middle Earthling
Hi everyone, we recently acquired a one hectare rural section in Raetihi, its a small hill with top cleared and levelled, with enough space to build a house. The top is accessed via metal road from gate. According to council, there is water available on site but no council sewer. Also stormwater needs to be controlled on site. There are power and phone lines along the road.

We are planning to put a 3-4 bedroom new transportable home at the top. Council told us we only need building consent for foundation, plumbing and drainage. We are currently working on our budget and only have the slightest idea what else we need to consider. This is what we can think of at the moment -

1. Waste and sewer system - no idea how much it cost, what type is best to use or cheaper to maintain.
2. Stormwater, I was thinking of a collecting tank to store rainwater. Is this enough, do I need to consider other options. Is this the cheapest option?
2. Power and tel line from gate to top. Its about 120meters from gate to house via metal road, no idea how much it would cost. I saw a transformer across the road, no idea if we need a new one.
3. Fencing, no idea what type to use and how much it cost. The section has perimeter fencing and currently use as grazing for few sheeps and cows. We are thinking of fencing off the top and metal road, then subdividing the rest into two areas that could be used for grazing.

We appreciate any info or estimate we could get, thank you all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #518261 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Small LSB in Raetihi
Hi Middle Earthling,

1) You will probably need to commission a drainage engineer, who will tell you what sort of septic system you need (it varies depending on your soil type, council requirements, etc) and produce the drainage paperwork that the council will need to see to grant building consent.

2) Collecting rainwater is a good idea. There could be a problem with the provided water supply, you might not be allowed to use the provided water for irrigating your gardens, and should the need arise, big tanks with lots of water make life easier for the fire brigade. I think a 25 to 30 thousand litre tank sells for about 4k delivered, plus what ever it costs you to install and plumb. Your drainage engineer will be able to advise on dealing with overflow from rainwater tanks to the council's satisfaction.

[strike]2[/strike]3a) You need to find out who runs your local electricity distribution network (not your electricity retailer). They will be able to tell you if you can connect to the existing transformer (depends on how heavily loaded it is), and how much they will charge you to get connected. You will also need a sparky and an electrical inspector to install the cable on your land and connect to your house.

[strike]2[/strike]3b) As far as I am aware (you should check with them first), Chorus will charge you something like $400 just to show up, and if the job takes more than a certain period of time (I think it is 30 minutes or something like that?) then they start charging for extra time, but there is no extra charge for materials. The moral of the story is make their job as easy as possible for them, eg only half-fill the trench with the power cable in it so that Chorus can put the phone cable in there too (you can put both cables in the same trench, but by law, the phone cable must be at least 300mm away from the power cable - ask your sparky about this). Check Chorus's broadband map: www.chorus.co.nz/maps - if you can't get wireline broadband, you may decide to skip the phone line and just make everything wireless (RBI or mobile network, etc)

4) What stock do you intend to have? different species have different fencing requirements. General recommendations are to locate gates in corners of paddocks (not halfway along a fence line) so that you can use the two fencelines at the corner of the paddock as a "funnel" to help muster recalcitrant stock through the gateway. A raceway also makes it easier to move stock - that way you only have to muster out of the paddock into the raceway, and then it's really easy to drive the stock along the narrow raceway to the yards or the destination paddock.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Middle Earthling

More
6 years 5 months ago #518264 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Small LSB in Raetihi
Middleearthling welcome.
I am not sure what you mean by a transportable home, is it one that can be moved or is it one that you are moving onto the site.
You will need a building consent for the dwelling, all dwellings in NZ over 10m sq require this which means you need to submit plans for the dwelling before its moved there, unless it is a fully transportable building and a temporary building only
You will need a formed driveway, it wont be part of your consent but you will require access to the property
Are you intending having any outbuildings over 10 m. sq? If so, make an application for these at the time you apply for building consent.
Does the property come with a geotec report showing where the siting of the house is to be and its suitability for building?
When I was putting power on for a new property, the transformer was right by the boundary.. For some reason that I cant fathom, Vector never charged for connection up the pole to the transformer after I had had the power and phone cables laid from the house to the pole. They did, however, take their time and made it very difficult , I think because I got one quote with one electrician and then used another. I cant fathom any reason why it should take 2 months for them to take the line from the corner of my property where it lay coiled, to connect it to the system, and that with the electrician ringing them almost daily. Luckily I had a generator that got us thru the building process

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #518323 by Middle Earthling
Thank you for the quick reply spark. I browsed the internet for a drainage engineer in the area and came up with Dave Miller ( www.davemiller.co.nz ), his reviews looks ok. Would get in touch with him to discuss my drainage and septic requirements. Looks like Powerco is our local distribution network, got more info from their website ( www.powerco.co.nz/Get-Connected/Electricity/ ). Thanks for the chorus/trench tip. Checked Chorus map, 5mbps broadband only - there goes my netflix streaming. No idea what livestock to have, currently leaning to either cows or sheep. Can I put up fencing suitable for either cows or sheep?

Thanks for the welcome muri, its a newly built transportable house similar to what you can find at matrixhomes.co.nz. Im placing it on a flat area of the property accessed via metal road. According to council, there should be building consent where the house is built. On my part I need to provide council copy of that building consent plus I would need to file building consent for the foundation where the transportable house will be placed on my section. Base on your experience, I think its best to sort the power early to anticipate any delays.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Middle Earthling.

More
6 years 5 months ago #518380 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Small LSB in Raetihi
Hi Middle Earthling,

Re: Fencing - this is useful:
www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/index.php/lifes...ing-the-farm/fencing

As is this:
www.fencingcontractors.co.nz/Portals/35/...s%20of%20Fencing.pdf

PS: If you have cattle, you need to register with NAIT as a PICA (Person In Charge of Animals), you will also need a basic set of yards for TB testing.
Cattle love to rub themselves, and if you let them rub themselves on your fence, they will ruin the fence. I suggest that you put at least one hot wire on your fence (eg an electricified outrigger on the inside of the fence) and let the cattle rub themselves on something else like the trunk of a large tree.

If you don't want you phone to go click-click-click-click with the electric fence, you need to make sure that your phone cable is well away from any part of the electric fence - if the (buried) phone cable must cross the fence line, it should do so at right angles. It is also a good idea to keep the "electric fence earth" well away from the "main earth pin" for the mains power in your house and the "earth pin" at the transformer supplying your house.

I do not know much about netflix (never used it), but does it allow you to "buffer" (or download) an HD movie over a slow connection and then play it back all in one go without interruption from the local copy on your hard disc? I know that you can get browser plugins for firefox that let you download Youtube video over slow connections and then play the file without interruptions.

Cheers

More
6 years 5 months ago #518489 by Middle Earthling
Sweet! Thanks for the link spark. Netflix is streaming HD, its buffers but suffers from degraded video quality over slow connection. I think itunes offer downloadable movies and watching offline, havent tried it though. Been with Netflix US for over a year now, absolutely worth the 15nzd i spend on it per month.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds