Poly pipe and fittings

More
6 years 5 months ago #518140 by Rover LK
Hi all, i am new here and new to life style blocks, bought a place that needs a lot of plumbing, what brands do people recommend? i herd hansen are good but have already had two fail, where is the best places to buy? thaks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #518152 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Poly pipe and fittings
Hello and welcome to the forum. :) Which part of the country are you in?
We use mostly Hansen, bought from any of the rural supplies stores or a local water supplies vendor. How did yours fail? What sort of plumbing are you undertaking?

More
6 years 5 months ago #518191 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Poly pipe and fittings
I never had any fittings fail, sometimes used fittings come apart, but only after many uses. Is frost an issue? it should not worry fittings too much.
Do you meant the fittings come apart?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 4 months ago #518352 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Poly pipe and fittings
If the pipe you are putting the fittings onto is old then it is likely to be Imperial measurement, so Metric won't fit well. Imperial joints are still made, but I don't think that they make Imperial to metric, so attaching old pipe to new can be frustrating.
I prefer the fittings that have a male that fits into the pipe, and a plastic ring that threads tightly onto the pipe, rather than the type that has a rubber ring that goes over the pipe. Because I have a low pressure system I can heat the pipe with a bit of burning newspaper to force the male into the heated pipe. I then put a steel hose clamp over the pipe and male, preferably while it is still warm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rotors

More
6 years 3 months ago #520175 by nzfarmer1
Replied by nzfarmer1 on topic Poly pipe and fittings
Hansen are tried and tested. Wrightsons used to stock them but apparently there was a falling out, and they stock RX plastics.

These fittings: www.rxplastics.co.nz/RX-Low-Density-Fittings

Although the Hansen are fine, the RX plastics seem to grip better to the pipe and hand tightening is normally sufficient.

I have lots of both and few fail, but price for price I'm happy with the RX fittings.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #520182 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Poly pipe and fittings
Rx fittings md fittings will fit the old hd pipe but you need to go a size down, 32 hd pipe will fit in a 25 Rx md fitting.

Rx ld fittings are about a third of the cost price of Hansen. There was no falling out, just a bigger margin for retailers
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Aquila.

More
6 years 3 months ago #520208 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Poly pipe and fittings
I to wonder how they have failed? Installation error?

The only time ours "fail" is when someone hasnt tightened them properly or they get broken
.... I would hate to imagine how many joiners we have both above & below ground.... On the dairy block the pipes are 32, 40 & 50mm & all mole plowed in & covered.... more than 10kms with 60 1200L troughs.....installed 2 years ago & theres been 2 leaks(early on)....joiners missing seals.
In my little paddocks(approx 10ha) most of the lines are 15mm above ground, theres one that comes undone occassionally when the horses are in that paddock they catch it as its on a bank & I havnt bothered to tighten it tighter than my hand can. They broke a T near a trough a little while ago.
Then theres the drystock....new lines underground & old ones above....1000 stock & the only breakages are the odd ballcock arm & joiner going into the trough now the previous staffs system has been sorted

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
6 years 3 months ago #520210 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Poly pipe and fittings
I wonder the same thing, have seen people put fittings together in all sorts of ways only to have them pop apart as soon as they add water. Normally an easy fix.

Can you provide pics please

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds