Pukehina (soon)

More
6 years 5 months ago #517853 by DzigNZ
Pukehina (soon) was created by DzigNZ
Hey! I'm Dion, thought it was about time I signed up rather than just lurking in the corners :)

Currently living in Auckland but my better half and I bought 20 acres on the coast at Pukehina Beach, about 20 mins south of Tauranga. I have a load of family history there, my grandparents were some of the first to settle in the area back in the 50's and started the Fire Brigade there, and I grew up there till my teenage years, so I'm pretty excited to be moving back down there soon.

As for the land, it's rolling hills, with a small planting of pines (120 or so, around 12 years old) in the middle. For the past 10 or so years, the 2 neighbouring farmers (dairy, dry stock) have been grazing it for free, and it would seem they've neglected it a little - Californian thistles are king at the moment (not a single square metre of the paddocks doesn't have thistle growing), so have spent most of the holiday period topping them. Dairy farmer has all the resources we want, so will probably try and sort a deal out with him to continue grazing till we move down later this year.

We've had a small transportable building built and transported onto the land just so we can stay down there weekends while we build the main house, and now going through the process of getting an OSET septic system designed and installed, and wading through all the grey area the WBOP council throw at us.
Also have a large shed (230sqm) being engineered/built at the moment, though it's currently held up with the geotech coming back with 8m of peat below the pumice pad we had built as a base for the concrete slab... rookie mistake not getting the geotech first, but not sure I would have changed the shed location. All in all, just means more money ramming piles in before the slab is laid.

Haven't really put too much thought into stock/animals yet, guess we'll leave that for once we've moved down and can look after them :)

That's about it for now! :)

20 acres of californian thistles in the sunny WBOP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #517856 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Pukehina (soon)
Welcome to the LSB Dion. Don't hesitate to ask questions even if you think they are unimportant. There will always be someone on here who will have a sensible answer (and a few who may not) but hey, it's wheat and straw isn't it.
Nice to go back to your roots and to make new memories to add to the youthful ones.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 5 months ago #517872 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Pukehina (soon)
Welcome! I lived at Pukehina for about 18 months as a teenager, it is a nice place to live.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds