NEW TO EVERYTHING

More
8 years 6 months ago #517789 by Tarata91
NEW TO EVERYTHING was created by Tarata91
Hi,
I'm new to forums and lifestyling :)

My wife and I have just purchased a 4 acre block of land in north Taranaki. we'll be building a new home and developing the property over the next twelve+++++ months.
hopefully joining this discussion group will make the process a whole lot easier. I look forward to the challenge and will be asking a lot of questions.

we have a really tight budget-two bedroom open plan living of approximately 100m2, with a shed of 72m2. seriously thinking of going off grid (power poles are so freakin $$$$) whereas off grid solar has dropped in price a lot. we are looking into a wood fired oven with wetback or infinity on lpg.

not sure what we'll do with the land, in fact I don't really care, I'm looking forward to having no neighbours with loud stereos and noisy cars :) instead i can run woodwork machinery at 3am!

thanking you all in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #517797 by Follyfootfarm
Replied by Follyfootfarm on topic NEW TO EVERYTHING
Hi Tarata91. We are in the same position. Have 5.5 acres of bare land in the Manawatu. House build started this week, boxing done, tanks & septic in. Going to wait and settle in before deciding exactly what to do with it. Getting the grass baled for hay soon to bring in a few dollars. Our neighbours are obviously a bit closer than yours (don't think we could get away with loud noise in the middle of the night!) but a HUGE improvement over being in town. All the best!
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Follyfootfarm. Reason: Spelling mistake

More
8 years 6 months ago #517799 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic NEW TO EVERYTHING
Welcome to the forum, Tarata91, and to lifestyleblock living. Sounds like you're well on the way with your planning. What is your land like? Flat, hilly, swampy, etc? Is it already set up for farm animals, or would it be a good candidate for a bush block?

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
8 years 6 months ago #517804 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic NEW TO EVERYTHING
Welcome to the forum. You'll be surprised how far noise will travel! If there are houses within sight (and even those not) and they have noisy residents, you will hear them. You'd equally likely cause some upset with woodworking in the early hours.

More
8 years 6 months ago #517805 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic NEW TO EVERYTHING
Welcome to the LSB Tarata91. We had two power poles to sell, but when looked at the price they were fetching on TM, we decided it was more economical for us to cut them up for strainer posts. Therefore Trade me might be a cheaper choice for you as long as you can look at them first to determine if fully sound.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 6 months ago #517811 by Tarata91
Replied by Tarata91 on topic NEW TO EVERYTHING
Hi everyone

we only have the boundary fences at this stage, there is a short height fence made of 6x1 palings, but that will be removed to make way for the house. the front of the section has been cut for hay by the current owner, this maybe an option next year.
As for the land its a mixture of everything- a small swampy creek runs through the middle of it all, the house sits on the highest piece of the section. the trees already on it are rubbish and will be removed when the digger arrives. We are considering planting natives to attract the birds and gums for firewood. As yet we don't really know what to plant or animals to have, as we feel that its in stage two of the operation

Using woodwork machinery at 3am isn't the best thing to do at that hour:) , it was just an example of the more freedom we will have. we are currently urban with loud parties occurring next door regularly.

Enjoy the weather :cheer:

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #517817 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic NEW TO EVERYTHING
sounds great, good luck with your exciting venture!
I would look at getting some trees/shelter in asap. Tagasaste is great, gums are not the best choice really, they dessicate the ground and drop litter constantly.

Re heating, I have a Bosky woodburner with radiators in every room, it's great and is over 20 years old still going strong. You will need to make sure your house design can accomodate a good flue if you go this way.

Off grid has its problems for water supply, you can get 12v pumps, depends on where your water comes from. If seller is supplying water, check this out with local authority and your lawyer!!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by tonybaker.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds